Journal Entry 3: Hardware that Promotes Interactivity

So there was this dude that came to talk in last year’s Physical Computing class. Actually he didn’t come into our class to talk, we were advised (read: forced) to go watch his presentation and ask questions. I can’t seem to remember his name. Starts with an S….. come on help me out here….If it comes i’ll let you guys know. I didn’t get to go watch his presentation but i didn’t go with to his website. On his website I saw that he created several new ways in which we interact with thing around us. Part of which was how children learnt.

The take-away lesson/inspiration is that with his method, children are no longer passive learners (just sitting there while the teacher talks, with drool coming out of their mouths out of boredom), but active learners. Active in that they get to help create what the lessons are and they are more hands on and physically active as well. Where am i going with this? Follow.

A piece of hardware that helps with this is the iPad. Yes yes, it does a million and one things. In particular there’s an app(yes one of the thousands), that helps kids learn by putting them in charge and letting them create their own worlds called…drumroll……… Toontastic. I won’t tell you what it’s about, that’s the video’s job. However, i feel it helps them express themselves. Regardless of whatever disabilities they may have, whether it be speech, fine motor skills, or gross motor skills. And it gives the adults around them a better insight into the minds of the kids. ok ok here’s the vid

About rusnuvol

I'm tall.

One Response to Journal Entry 3: Hardware that Promotes Interactivity

1. J.Seda says:

An Ijustine video? Interesting..