Lab Report Week 1: “The Basics of Viewing Models differently in Blender”

Objective: My goal is to make people understand how someone can view their current model/models in Blender in different ways. Simply put, what are the types of view modes in Blender and how could would you define them?

Materials: The materials used for this lab are Blender 2.65(obviously), a Mac or Pc, and the application TextEdit on the Mac to write all of this stuff down before I post on here.

Methods: I start up the Mac that I am currently on and click on Blender on the application dock (bottom of the screen). Blender opens up and default options and model are loaded up. The interface of Blender is pretty big and scary for someone starting out, but there is no need to worry. It is pretty simple to change view modes in Blender. At the bottom left of the screen is a little white circle/sphere. I click on that to open a drop box of selections, which are the view modes that I am looking for! I could have confused this with the two circles on the right side of the one circle, but I am only looking for the one circle to click on. I see four view modes currently, but if I was a new user, I wouldn’t know what view mode I am currently in. In default, the view mode starts off in the solid view mode. All I have to do to see other view modes is click on the other three listed. When I click on the view mode texture, it shows the default model(which is a cube)in a much darker way, showing shadows and such. When I click on the wireframe view mode, it shows the cube as an outline. When I click on the bounding box view mode, the cube stays the same as if it were in wireframe mode, but there is a difference.

Results: As a result, talking about the view modes in Blender resulted in simple tutorial being made for someone who doesn’t know about view modes. The solid view mode is the default view mode that is pretty much the mode where everyone works in. You think of the solid view mode as a naked view for the models. The textured view mode on the other hand is the mode where the model has “clothes”. It shows all the shadows it produces and the model itself in its “full form”. The wireframe mode is like the building blocks on the model. It shows how the model is formed from the inside with lines and vertices connecting. The bounding box view mode is similar to the wireframe mode, but it is used mostly for finding out collision detection in models.

Discussion: Everything went right in my little tutorial I made. I wanted to write a little more and add pictures on how to find the view modes in case my little tutorial wasn’t enough, but I ran out of time.There is pretty much no way to make an error for this if you have common sense and a little awareness. All you had to do was open a program, click on something that shows more things.