Paumanok Vineyard (updated)

Paumanok Vineyard was founded in 1983. Before Paumanok, it was a potato field. After Charlies Massoud and his wife decide to get into the vineyard, they were about to purchase 77 acre of land to start. This started by Mr. Massoud who wanted a simple view of looking out the window to see “paradise” which he refers to rows of vines. (Rather, 1999)

This vineyard has a tradition of making fine wine with their premium vinifera grapes like Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Paumanok best grape is Cabernet Sauvignon in the Western region. When the grape was first planted, there was a struggle due to the weather. During the summer night, the weather would be warm causing the grape to be less acidic but that didn’t stop the grape from maturing. Luckily, the wind travels over the Peconic Bay and cool down allowing the grape to ripen for three additional weeks. (Hochstein, 2005)

Paumanok is also known for having three best white in Long Island winery, which is 2002 Chenin blanc, 2002 Festival Chardonnay and  2001 barrel fermented chardonnay. These selections are popular due to the grapes which brought a lean, light, fruity selection for any time of the day. (Goldberg, 2003) Even though I did not have a 2002 Chenin blanc, I still enjoyed the 2015 Chenin Blanc due to the refreshing taste.

Their “turn of the century barn” house production makes about 12,000 cases of wine as well as a fermentation tank room and lab in the back of the house.

Out on the store deck, there’s a seating area and tables to view all 127 acres as well as to enjoy any events or environment for guest that comes by to visit Paumanok Vineyard.

On April 18, 2017, my friends and I visited the Paumanok Vineyard located on 1074 Main Rd, Aquebogue, NY 11931. The ride was an hour and a half long but we made it to the destination with beautiful sunny, clear blue skies and slightly cold winds. On arrival, we walked around the area to check out the place as well as the vineyard. It was disappointing to see the vines were grape-less. But looking at the field of budding vines was really wonderful to see knowing that grapes will grow in the field I was standing on was cool.

At this stage, the vine are budding so they are still in the process of breaking out, still no grape. The vines had nets and a stick on the bottom for support the vines to grow in a particular way and so the vines do not grow on the grass. Even though there weren’t any grape, if we wanted to see the growing grapes, we would have to come back in one or two months.

After checking the outside, we went inside to see the wine bottles and tasting list. I only tired one wine which I enjoyed a lot due to the following:

2015 Chenin Blanc, Paumanok, North Fork of Long island

• Peach, apricot aroma
  • Crisp, acidity, dry
  • Food pairing suggestion; Oysters
  • No barrel or oak on nose or Palate
  • Summer or spring wine
  • .02% sugar for sweetener
  • Pale golden yellow

List of wines on the paper as well as wine bottles on the table and in the refrigerator with various selection of red and white wines. The wine bottles standing on the table had screw caps, while wine bottles with corks needs to be slanted to keep the cork moist.

Visiting the Paumanok Vineyard was a enjoyable and an educational assignment to do which I enjoyed. After visiting the winery, I have better understanding and visuals of how the vines are as well as how and where wine are made.

Sources

Goldberg, H. G. (2003, Aug 31). Paumanok at its best. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/docview/92553461?accountid=28313

Hochstein, M. (2005, August). Paumanok Vineyards: Long Island longshot. Wines & Vines, 86(8), 44+. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/ps/i.do?p=AONE&sw=w&u=cuny_nytc&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE%7CA135340517&asid=2bfc470fa6533a124ebd8171ade467ae

Rather, J. (1999, Aug 15). In an industry 25 years old, A vintner sees paradise. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu/docview/110024183?accountid=28313

http://paumanok.com/visit_us.html