Finding Your Voice

HW 10/25

This citation is difficult to make because I found this poem on a website and it doesn’t include the authors name.

Poem name ” What happened to me didn’t happen to others”

Summary- In this poem we get a brief understanding of how gender roles are played in Ethiopia. This girl wasn’t able to go to school but her brother was and she never understood why. As readers we notice how she felt a way because of the use of words she used. In What happened to me didn’t happen to other she states “When my mother sends my brother to schoolShe says to me — work at home.Clean the house. Make food.My brothers come from school.He comes and eats when he’s hungry.If he wants, he can study.He can be as he wants.But me, I don’t know what the outside looks like”. This shows she’s trapped in this world her mom created and she doesn’t know how to escape. I feel as if the gender roles in Ethiopia is so forced that females feel as if they are trapped away from the outside world. I agree how the author uses her words in the poem even though she’s not physically trapped at home but mentally she is. The author of the poem also expresses how she wants to make sure her daughter doesn’t face what she went through living in Ethiopia. She keeps repeating she’s going to take her daughter to school and give her a better world. She also talks about her mom not liking the fact she ended up going to school with her brother. This is because her mom was never taught that It was okay for females to go to school

Rhetorical analysis – For some reason I am not able to find the authors name but I do know that the author is a Ethiopian women that grew up in Ethiopia. I received the poem from this website. The author audience are females facing gender inequality and future generations of females. The author also expresses her future daughter in the poem saying she’s righting this for her to know things will be different. This author made this poem during this time because gender inequality was getting worse and she wanted answers. The purpose of this poem was to show young Ethiopian females there is going to be changes we just have to start with our future kids.  The author using a poem expressed what she was trying to address because we can feel the words she uses. When the author kept using question marks at the end of each phrase I notice that she really wants answer and for someone to give it to her.   She’s asking these questions as to why this is happening to her like how she expressed in her title. The effects of these choices have is that we can feel that the author wants clarity and she does want to understand how come her brother goes to school and she cants. She’s connecting to the audience using these questions for readers to think about it s well.

key notes -Once my uncle came from the North.He wanted to see me and my brother.He just became angry and shouted at my mom.He says, what’s going on with your mom?Why didn’t you send her to school?Why you didn’t send her?Why you just put her at home?So you want her to be like you?Staying at home?Then, my mom feels sad

Now, I will educate my girlNot to repeat my own story with my daughter.It started with my mom, but won’t go on with my daughter. Not making my girl stay at home.I will let her out to go to school.Never will happen to her what happened to me.

1. Carrie Hall

Coumba, I can show you how to do the actual citation. Come see me after class.

For the summary, I think you need a few more sentences at the beginning really explaining to an outsider what happens in this poem. Imagine that you are explaining to someone who has never seen the poem in their life (which is true of me) what the poem is about. You get into specifics, but never give a broad overview. You can also describe briefly the article you found it in (6 poems about Ethiopia) and say you decided to focus on only one.

A couple of questions to consider for your rhetorical analysis: what audience do you think the writer is trying to reach? Why do you think she’s chosen a poem (as opposed to, say, an essay) to reach that audience? Do you think that was a good choice?