Finding Your Voice

10/20

Summary: The stock market has always been a picky place for many individuals. You’re either lucky or you’re not so picking and choosing exactly what you will be investing in has to be one of the most challenging experiences to go through. In this  article by C. Micheal smith , he talks about the basics of investment when it comes to basically the youth. From the lectures that students are in for business to a simulation test being run to see what is the rate/trend with students and investments for life. He makes sure to make his point clear that not all the time learning about stocks/business has to be the old casual way just because your mentor learned it that way and is teaching it to you like that. It’s all about the mind and truly understanding the full capacity of what you can gain out of economics and not some random website that claims they’ll help you how to learn how to make stocks and all about it , especially the younger generations whoms minds wear off to other things than can you off as materialistic and just money  money money because that’s how our government and society is based off of and has shaped us. He has these numerous in depth hypothesis of this experimental trials he’s working on to compare the difference between the industrial learning of economics  with grown men to those young ones with possibly know type of knowledge in the business majors.

Rhetorical analysis: The author is C. Micheal smith Is a psychologist who decided to make this article vivible for others to know about. We know he’s a psychologist because of how he decides to put two and two together and do a trial where he try’s to prove his theory of students with knowledge or no knowledge are still capable  of learning economics even through a simulated learning activity. They are pretty confident and mostly calm in the information that he can gain from this experiment  and toward how they can change the perspective of learning new things that most people think the only way you can know of is through  a degree. Their primary audience does consist more of college students so it can grab their attention that people like them, in school, struggling are being tested to just be them and not worry if they pass or fail something that they want to learn of . Even adults can have this attention not only necessarily young adults. But I do believe that the author is ignoring mostly the youngest people such as high schoolers , let alone women, in his experiment maybe I read wrong but he did say just mostly about men’s knowledge in a business class. The author decided to make this a thing because of how this generation is expanding to brighter and bigger minds and how you can take advantage of learning something new even if you are bad at math. To not underestimate yourself because of what they have entitled you for. The genre is mainly just descriptive , theoretical, and argumentative/persuasive. This can grab the readers attention to know more about the whys and how’s of something. Again the tone is informative yet confident in the processes.

optional :Although I still have yet to finish finding other sources to prove this authors claim to be truthful or not, I seem to agree and more importantly understand what he’s trying to say. He isn’t only writing because he has to but he’s talking in his writing, he’s telling me what I would hear in person and most importantly I don’t feel like I’m being pressure or brainwashed to think a biased opinion of something that possibly isn’t truthful.

key quotes :

• Is a student’s participation in an experiential online trading simulation related to the student’s overall performance? To address this question, the research identifies if the utilization of the trading simulation helps students gain a stronger understanding of the overall material in the investments course over those who do not participate.”
  •  “the current generation of college student seems to learn and respond better to the opportunities to experience the classroom concepts than previous generations, making the inclusion of experiential activities even more beneficial and welcomed by students”
  •  “To analyze the success of the course’s experiential component, student grades are used as the primary variable to compare those students who participated in the experiential simulation versus those who did not. By using this quantitative measurement, this study adds to the existing literature already conducted on the inclusion of stock market simulations in investing courses, as student survey responses have been the popular measuring tool utilized in prior research”

1. Carrie Hall

Vianca, I think you’re doing a really good job here, both in your summary and analysis (and distinguishing between the two!) I think you could strengthen the analysis even more by adding some examples that back up your points. For example, when you say the primary audience is college students, how do you know that? Do you have a quote or a point that might prove that to readers?

There are also a few places where your sentence structure gets a little difficult to follow. You can come to talk to me about it, or go to the writing center. This isn’t a huge problem at all– just slightly unclear in some places, but it’s easier to talk about one on one.