Finding Your Voice

H.W #3 9/6

In the article, Mike Bunn writes, “You are already an author”. This means that for every word that I write whether it comes from a class assignment or even as small as a text message I am still an author. Being a student requires me to write a lot whether it is writing a paper for a class or taking down notes from my instructor. Having my writing displayed and for everyone to see doesn’t make me an author because not everyone needs to see what I wrote. When I was in elementary and middle school, I wasn’t a big fan of reading even to this day but I loved reading books about action and crime whether it be fiction or non-fiction. My favorite books back then were Percy Jackson: the lightening thief and Percy Jackson: Sea of monsters. The only time I write is when I write an essay, poem, or short story for an assignment mostly for any school-related assignments that I most likely had to do. That existing expertise will help me in my college reading and writing career because of all the practice and reading I’ve done for the last couple of years of my life. I also want to expand on how I write by not just writing for school assignments but for writing for my self- enjoyment because its a good way to express one’s emotion or story by just writing a couple words on a sheet of paper. There was a couple things that I noticed in Bunn’s article that I would like to try to do in my own writing. One of the things I noticed in Bunn’s writing that i would like to do for myself is how he makes the subtitles questions to perfectly picture and answer the question with details from that section will be. For example the part of the text subtitled, “Why learn to read like a writer” shows and  explains his theory by providing sources coming from studies or Charles Moran, an English professor who teaches at University of Massachusetts. This was one of his techniques that I would like to try in my writing

1. Carrie Hall

Great response, Sam. This shows me that you read really closely– also great choice of books in the Percy Jackson!