“The Brief Wondrous life of Oscar Wao”

While reading, “The Brief Wondrous life of Oscar Wao” I found myself very engaged being that the author, like I, was Dominican. Along with the fact that I was encountering a word that I had never before heard. I didn’t really find myself distracted with this one, since it had a numerous counts of humor in it with the occasional counts of spanglish in it, that made it overall easy to read. I hadn’t really found anything difficult, other than trying to wrap my head around the idea that some superstitious being was the cause of the misfortunate deaths and curses of many. In the text Diaz states, “that whoever killed Trujillo, their family would suffer a fuku so dreadful it would make the one that attached itself to the Admiral jojote in comparison.” Diaz continues on explaining that nobody but the “fuku” was the cause of none other than Kennedy’s death being that he had green-lighted the assassination of Trujillo, which in turn caused this so called “fuku” to unleash its wrath upon him. I found the text to be most disturbing at certain points like the one where Diaz kind of directs his attention to the skeptists and non-believers, where he states, “It’s perfectly fine if you don’t believe in these “superstitions.” In fact, it’s better than fine–it’s perfect. Because no matter what you believe, fuku believes in you.” With this line alone I found myself in a combustion of feelings, like those of confusion, worry, and dread.