” The brief and notorious life of Oscar Wao”

While reading “The brief and notorious life of Oscar Wao” by Junot D íaz, I found the text easy to read whereas some of the word choice was a bit hard. I think the hardest thing for me in this article really was the fact that there were a lot of Spanish or slang  words which would throw me off of my groove.”Everybody knew someone who had been eaten by a fukù, just like everybody knew somebody that worked up in Palacio.“(3). Though this sentence for me was n’t the hardest I still for some reason found myself re-reading the words more than once, because I couldn’t just figure it out from the context clues for some reason. Once I was able to get past my challenges reading certain words I found the lore about the fukù to be extremely intriguing and pulled me in enough to be able to continue on to the footnotes. I found the footnotes to be my favorite part of the reading because of the way Diaz spoke about the history kept me captivated with their crude and at times vulgar tongue “A portly, sadistic, pig-eyed melato who bleached his skin, wore platform shoes, and had a fondness for Napoleon – era haberdashery, Trujillo …. came to control nearly every aspect of the DR is the political-cultural social and economic life through a potent (and familiar) mixture of violence, intimidation, massacre, rape, cooperation, and terror,  treated the country like it was a plantation and he was the master”. (3) The more Diaz described Trujillo the more I pictured a genocide that I was never fully aware of happened. Diaz was able to teach me some of the histories and loop it into the text beautifully by saying that many people believed that he succeeds so well because of his pack with the fukù. As for me well, I think it’s just the human want to be able to believe in something magical, or they want to have an unknown force be able to take the blame for your faults in life.