Proposal

ENT4499 – Culmination Project

Project Description 

In my 5 years at City Tech, I have learned many things. From soldering components onto an Arduino to learning how to edit video and sounds. My last 2 semesters I enrolled in a 3D modelling class, which I enjoyed a lot and wished I had focused on that from beginning. For my culmination project I would like to make my own 3D racing game that for now I’ve named it GRAND PRIX: APEX. My goal is to challenge myself and model my own little cars and later on, animate them. Like I mentioned I don’t have a lot of experience 3D modeling but just enough to make a cube look at least like a Flintstone car. I also don’t have any experience in working with engines that are used to make games. Will be taking a class to learn how to use Unity and help me with my project. 

Methods 

For my project I will be building at least 2 race tracks and multiple car models. I also want to give the player options to customize the cars appearances to their liking. I want to focus mostly on Quality over Quantity. Thinking of building 2 fully detailed and playable race tracks to start with along with at least 5 cars to choose from. Out of the vehicle you choose I want to give the player the option to change Wheels, Wings, Accessories etc. I will be using Maya 2017 for my modeling and later on will be using Unity to finalize the project where I will be coding to make the wheels run and some AI components for the other racers and how they should behave. I don’t have much experience using Maya but with tutorials I’m finding my way around things. On the other hand, with Unity I have 0 experience. I’ve signed up for a class which I believe will help me learn how to use it and if I get stuck on something I’ll be looking up Tutorials in YouTube. 

Project Deliverables 

By the end of the project I will be delivering a finished full single player game. My goal is to try and make a multiplayer function so that there’s a pvp component. Not sure if I’ll get to that because 3D modelling takes a long time, but I’ll definitely be aiming for that. 

• Fully Detailed/Playable Game 
  • Customization Options 
  • Drawings 
  • Photos of all development stages 
  • Poster 
  • Open Lab ePorfolio 

Schedule/Calendar 

My schedule is going to be a tight one due to that I’m going to be a full-time student and work 7 days. Because I know that the 3D modeling is going to take the longest I already started working on the minor detail props for the race tracks and some car components before the semester starts because my hands will be full. My plan is to do the modeling for ¾ of the time and use the remaining for the coding and testing. The reason being that I will be taking a class in Unity and will use that time to work a little on it and the professor might help me out polish my work. While for the 3D modeling I’m planning on taking 2 hours after work daily to get as much work done as possible. 

Required Resources 

Luckily all the resources required are available at home and school. In school the only problem will be being able to use room V314. It’s the only lab that I know that has computers that are capable of running Maya without crashing or lagging. The computers in V321 and the lab on 2nd floor crash and lag which slow down the process. Other than that, required resources are available all around. 

Budget 

The only thing that will be costing money is the software but because I’m a college student Maya Software is free. 

Proposed Table of Contents/Portfolio Outline 

• Introduction: Will explain my game and my reason why I chose to do a game as my project. Also, what my goals were. 

• Methods: Will demonstrate all the steps I took to complete my project. 

• Project Budget: I doubt that there will be any expenses. Only time will tell. 

• Project Calendar: I’m thinking of combining this with the Methods section because I feel like it will help me explain things better for each step taken. 

• Conclusion: Will talk about my goals, which was the hardest/easiest one. Which goals came along that I couldn’t complete if any and what things I wish I had done different and what I learned through my process.