Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

• 10/22 Miss Crane's "unmentionables"
  • #75485

Prof. Masiello

Why do you think the costume designer decided that Miss Crane’s bra and slip (and handbag)were white in the first scene but black in the later scenes?

(These are not just random costume changes.)

Please post your reply…

PS There will be more Psycho discussions once I know you have seen the film.

#75486

Angel Rivera

White represents purity, and it’s often the color brides wear during weddings. I believe she wore white in the first scenes because she was trying to marry her love interest. However she grew frustrated since he had to pay his ex wife alimony, delaying the marriage. In the later scene, I believe she wore black because by then she’s stolen $40,000 and drove to a different state. She was no longer pure since she stole a large sum of money from her employer and left her love interest. The black clothing also foreshadowed her demise. It’s the color worn during funerals, representing death.

Very well-expressed, Angel.

I hope you enjoyed the film.

#75487

weipeng lin

Miss Crane at the beginning I noticed that her inner and outer clothes are white. It gave me an idea of how it was related to wedding dresses and how the color of wedding dresses tends to be white and wanting to marry her other half. But later in the scene, she decided to take the money from her client and decided to leave to another place. I noticed that later her inner clothes and her purse had changed colors from white to black. Black tends to have a meaning of darkness and evil because she stole the money from her client and decided to run away from what she has done.

Nicely expressed, WeiPeng. I hope you liked this classic film…

#75489

Gabby

I believe it’s because she no longer has good/pure intentions anymore. She wore white, hoping soon to marry Sam, but with how complicated things got with his ex-wife, she seemed to have grown impatient and unhappy. Upon doing something wrong, she starts wearing black undergarments, as though she’s been tainted.

Okay, Gabby. strong language, but true.

I hope you enjoyed the film.

#75522

Justin Alava

I believe the designer wanted her to look angelic in the first scenes and after she stole the 40k it’s changed to black to show that she’s done something wrong and evil.

Justin, I wouldn’t say Miss Crane looked “angelic” since she was in the midst of having sex with her boyfriend (and this was the first time a Hollywood picture showed so much ladies’ underwear) but yes…white is symbolic of “innocence” and that is why it is used for bridal gowns. Before she robbed the money, she was comparatively good.

#75530

Shania Tennant

Miss Crane’s white bra, which made her look angelic, was changed to black after she stole the $40,000 to imply that she had done something bad and evil, and it symbolized her darker side. Her purse also changes to represent the same concept.

Shania,
    Please look at what I just wrote to Angel. It applies to your comment too.

#75708

Steven Mendez

I think it’s because she is no longer happy. She wore white because she was going to marry Sam making her look like an angel. But then with things got messed up with Sams ex-wife, she got unhappy and started doing bad things and changed into black making her seem like a demon.

#75995

Asher Derry

Clothing generally represents assumed or projected personality, from the exterior facade to intimate personal details. Hitchcock’s use of Marion’s wardrobe shows audiences her inner transformation from an excited, hopeful lover to that of a conflicted, nervous woman. Her outer clothing portrays the external appearance of normalcy that she attempted to project through this turmoil.

This interpretation is emphasised in the stark mood contrast shown once Ms. Crane is nude for the shower scene. The famous robe-drop may represent a shedding of external concerns and the need to project or hide difficult feelings, which is then reflected in her joyful bliss under the water leading up to her murder.

#76176

Tatiana B.

As we look at the symbolism if color we can see white as representing purity and innocence. This is a widely correlated with the innocence of marriage which is why most women wear white as a wedding dress color. It is interesting to note the inner color of her garments changed from being white to black articles of clothing. We can view this change as her character becomes dark and ominous. Many people associate black with evil. We can see this change in character when she steals a large purse of money from her employer. The dark clothing can also represent the downfall of a character.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)