Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

• 10/14 Did you prefer the short story or the film?
  • #75378

Prof. Masiello

Please finish the story and request and complete the quiz on “Rear Window” before watching the film. Here is the film link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipp945h2mcqh1oi/Rear.Window.1954.1080p.Bluray.10bit.x265.AAC-HazMatt.mkv?dl=0

Then post your reply to this question:

Why did you prefer the short story or the film?

(FYI The story was, of course, published before the film was made, yet the short story–as enjoyable as it is–is largely forgotten while the film is listed among the 100 greatest films by the American Film Institute. While one might say the female characters were not in the written version, they seem to add to the fun and the suspense. Alfred Hitchcock is still called “The Master of Suspense.”)

#75381

Gabby

Although I enjoy seeing the visualization and colors of the story in the film, the short story is a much better read. The lack of details allows you to focus more on the mystery murder that Jeff is trying to solve, and understanding his reasoning as to why he did all he did. The film gives you much more context, but it puts out Jeff as more perverse. I don’t really care for romance in regards of a story uncovering murder. I also prefer his relationship with Sam than Stella, seeing as race isn’t significant but mentioned, and they’ve had a long friendship before the time the book takes place. Although Stella is more talkative and involved, there’s something about the simplicity and submissive of Sam that he’s so willing to take care of him, and do the favors he asks of him to uncover the murder. The simplicity of the short story is much better, but the movie is good.

Fair enough, Gabby. What about the idea that Hitchcock had this beautiful woman climbing into a window in high heels risking her life. Wasn’t it fun and suspenseful?

#75382

weipeng lin

I prefer the film more than the short story. The film gives me more of an idea of what’s going on and certain parts of the short story are not as throughout as the film is. The film gives me a better understanding of what Jeff see’s through his window. With the film being shown I can see every character of what they look like and their facial features as there acting. Having to read the short story it doesn’t seem to talk about every character that appeared. The violent part in the film where Thorwald was trying to choke Jeff gave me a solid picture and understanding of what Jeff was doing to fight back. In the short story, I misunderstood some parts. For example page 27 in the short story, it states “The flash of the shot lit up the room for a second, it was so dark.” I pictured something else such as gunshots but now actually seeing the film Jeff used his camera to blind the murderer.

Yes, the bright flashbulbs in those days were blindingly bright. You might ask your grandparents about them

#75383

Shania Tennant

People frequently argue that the original is superior to the remake, and I agree with this situation. I preferred the short story to the movie because the short tale was more direct, immersive, and detailed, and it made you want to keep reading to find out if the main character’s intuition was correct or not. The film was uninteresting to me and had way too many unnecessary sequences. It took too long to get to the purpose and had a lot of filler to make it the length it is. When Jeff dispatched the man to meet him, it was stated that he had a gun, yet no gun was mentioned or seen in the movie when he left. A lot of important details were left out of the film and were changed to something else.

Okay, Shania, but the screenwriter tied in photography, which helps with the POV and the appearance of the beautiful love interest. The story has the element of surprise about the broken leg that the film could not conceal.

#75438

Angel Rivera

I prefer the short story to the film. While the film provided visuals to get a better idea of the setting and the character’s appearance, the short story was more detailed with Jeff’s narration over the events that took place. Also Sam was replaced with two female characters, an elderly caregiver and a love interest. Lastly, the ending differed slightly from the short story. Lars Thorwald was supposed to bring a gun and shoot at Jeff. Instead, he pushed Jeff out of the window, causing Jeff to break his other leg

Well, Angel, as you will continue to see in this course, most films change things. Perhaps the real question is if the changes are effective or not Most of us tend to prefer the version we experience first.

#75483

Justin Alava

Why did you prefer the short story or the film ?

I prefer films to books although there is more detail in books. In movies someone else thinks up the characters. I like films much more than books because it is easier to get your head around what the story is about. Movie first because If I read the book first, my imagination casts all of the parts and then the movie will conflict with my version. If I watch the movie first, the book adds details, context, and subplots that couldn’t fit into the film. I’m getting more. Whereas if I read the book first, I’ll be disappointed at what doesn’t make the film.

I agree with you, Justin. Whatever we experience first tends to be the version we prefer and, yes, when we read we cast our own film in our head. I am often quite surprised that students almost always prefer the written version over the film. Nevertheless, later on this semester, there will be two more short stories, much later in the term, that pale in comparison to their film versions.

#75991

Asher Derry

I preferred the short story for two simple reasons. First, the short story was void of unnecessary subplots (i.e. romantic anxiety), which allowed for an unbroken mood as opposed to the film’s frequent interruptions from the building suspense over a suspected murder. Second, the short story presented a more intriguing puzzle with the elevated floor in the upstairs apartment. I do always have an appreciation for Jimmy Stewart’s performances, and having seen the film 15 years ago it was hard not to read the short story in his voice and perhaps enjoyed reading it more for that influence.

#76172

Steven Mendez

This question is a little bit more difficult for me because i love films because you can see whats going on and get a better idea but in the shorty story is more details and sometimes films leave out stuff or change things like the endings that were in the original story. For example, ” The Shining” which the film was differnet to the book in many ways.

#76175

Tatiana B.

There have been many arguments surrounding the short story and film of rear window. I thoroughly enjoyed visualizing the story rather than reading the text. I found there was an immense lack of details regarding what Jeff sees through the window. The film provided me with a clear view and understanding of what is seen through the window. The short story on the other hand, failed to give a clear picture of the characters involved. The film on the contrary allows me to place a name to a face. I appreciated the directors point of view while watching the film. Reading the short story allowed me to create my own vision unlike seeing the movie with its paired imagery. Unfortunately, this left me a bit confused. The ending in the short story differed from the ending of the film. Overall, I prefer books to their films.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)