ENG1121 D435 Fall2019

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Due 10/15 by 5PM: Annotated Bibliography

Amber Slater
    Participant

Hi all! Post your annotated bibliography here. You need at least two scholarly sources and two general sources. See the reading “Exploring Topics and Creating a Research Proposal” for a sample on pages 310-311.

You should include an MLA citation of your source, along with at least 100 words of description below the citation that: 1) summarize the source, and 2) explain why it will be useful to your paper.

Here’s a sample annotated citation (you’ll have four of these total in your post):
    Children’s Hospital. “Vaccine Science: Vaccines and the Immune System.” Children’s Hospital of
    Philadelphia, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, 20 Nov. 2014,
    http://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-science/vaccines-and-immune-system.

In this source, the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia lays out a theoretical situation in which two kids, Chip and Dale, contract the measles virus. However, Chip gets very ill with a fever and is rushed to the hospital, but Dale never reaches that stage because his symptoms did not progress. This is a perfect example which highlights the importance of immunizations and the amount of pain they can hinder. Although both children were not vaccinated in this case, they were both based upon the luck of the draw. I want to use this in my paper to state firmly that vaccines can take the luck factor out of the equation by controlling the pathogen from the first encounter, and not having to play catch up and wait it out once it is too late.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Amber Slater.

MelvinB
    Participant

“It happened on West 33rd Street near Neptune Avenue shortly after 11:30 a.m. Sources tell News 12 that two men got into an argument when one of them pulled out a gun and opened fire. Police say the suspect shot two construction workers, a man and woman, who were not the intended targets. They say the 53-year-old woman, identified as Dorothy Dixon, was shot in the chest. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. The man, age 47, was hospitalized and is in stable condition.”
    Brooklyn, News 12. “Woman Killed, Man Wounded in Coney Island Shooting.” News 12 Brooklyn, 4 Feb. 2019.

This source uses rhetorical appeals of pathos to captures the reader’s attention on what is currently going on in Coney Island. The source is mentioning how two people lost their lives simply working and had nothing to do with the situation and end up dead. These people that were construction workers were not the intended targets. All of this over gun violence that existed in Coney Island. This is a useful source because it discusses the serious effects that gun violence has on the community of Coney Island. Hard working people are being gunned downed for no reason at all!

“The Cure Violence model is a public health approach to gun violence reduction that seeks to change individual and community attitudes and norms about gun violence. It considers gun violence to be analogous to a communicable disease that passes from person to person when left untreated. Cure Violence operates independently of, while hopefully not undermining, law enforcement.”
    Butts, Jeffery A, and Lindsay Bostwick. Cure Violence: A Public Health Model to Reduce Gun Violence. 7 Jan. 2015.

The authors of this source had a purpose to inform the readers that the only cure to gun violence is to stand up. They compared gun violence to a disease, which means if no one steps up and help it can keep spreading from one person to the next. This would be an interesting source to use for my paper because it gives a suggestion on what should be done to solve the gun violence issue that occurs in my discoursed community. These authors are experts in the public health field and created a nook in which it targets the solution to gun violence.

“On Tuesday, our city reeled as four senseless shootings claimed five lives in just 24 hours. The fatalities, which spanned from Jamaica, Queens to Coney Island, Brooklyn”
    Adams, Eric. ”How the ‘No Snitches’ Code Feeds Gun Violence in NYC.” New York Post, New York Post, 23 Aug.

The New York post has a public audience that they are trying to get across to about the gun violence that is going on. They go on to elaborate how five people lost their lives due to gun violence in less than twenty-four hours. This source is a useful tool to use in my paper because it goes to show the extreme effects that gun violence has on the community. It proves that gun violence is reaching it peek in society!

Operation H.O.O.D (Helping Our Own Develop) is an anti- gun violence organization located in Coney Island Brooklyn NY, 11224.We help to change community norms of gun violence and enforce a healthier way of thinking and living.
    hood, operation. “Operation H.O.O.D.” Non-Profit Organization in Brooklyn, 10 Apr. 2017,

This private organization is a nonprofit organization that was created and founded to help the community of Coney Island fight the gun violence epidemic that is currently going on. They offer many services and help the youth find jobs that would guide them in the right path instead of getting into trouble and leaning towards picking up a gun. This origination’s mission statement would help me with my research paper because it gives an answer/tool to help fix this issue that is going on. It gives a suggestion on what to do to fix this issue in this community.

Brianna Bermudez
    Participant

George, Cossondra. “6 Strategies for Working With Diverse-Needs Students.” Teacher Teacher, Cossondra George, 19 Feb. 2019, http://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2014/12/02/ctq-george-iep.html.

The source above, 6 Strategies for Working With Diverse-Needs students is an article I found on Google Scholar. The article gives tips and strategies to use when working withIEP students in the classroom. However, unfortunately there are only six ideas used for this article. This is useful towards my paper because my discourse community is working with children, and a challenge we face is working with children who have an IEP. The article is useful and provides an explanation for each strategy as well which is great because I get a detailed explanation and some steps to go along and help me while i try these strategies.

Ruble, Lisa, and John H. Mcgrew. “Teacher and Child Predictors of Achieving IEP Goals of Children With Autism.” Springer Link, 2013, link-springer-com.central.ezproxy.cuny.edu/article/10.1007/s10803-013-1884-x.

This article, Teacher and Child Predictors of Achieving IEP Goals of Children With Autism, explains more of a researcher’s point of view. The article goes into depth about a study conducted by the National Research Council. The results were given on performance with different skills the teachers implemented. Teachers were also studied based on how well they educate students with IEPs based off of experience. This can be of use to my paper because I am studying ways to keep students with IEPs engaged while they are retaining information.

unknown, unknown. “Advice for Classroom Teachers: Your Students with IEPs.” Online Teaching Degrees from the University of Kansas, 2000, educationonline.ku.edu/community/advice-for-classroom-teachers.

The non-scholarly article I used was Advice for Classroom Teachers: Your Students With IEPs. the article provides of ing with IEP students. What I like about this article is how it tells you to plan ahead. Even before getting your class, while making lesson plans be sure to plan for students with IEPs. This article also gives advice on trying to engage the family more when it comes to their education, which surprisingly has not crossed my mind, though I work within a discourse community. This source can be of use with my research because there is a bunch of information I did not know to use before.

Slyter, Kirsten. “9 Things You Need to Know Before Working with Special Needs Students.” Rasmussen College, 4 Mar. 2019, http://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/education/blog/working-with-special-needs-students/.

I found this article on google. What I like about this article is again it prepares you for what to expect. I find it very relatable and very true, the information that was provided. However although this article may seem to be more negative than positive it is very real, and provides real advice. It’s stressful working with students who have IEPs, and there’s a lot that can uprise, but this article provides all that. It does also mention the end result feeling which i like because you don’t see a lot of.

Joshua V
    Participant

“Activities, Clubs and Organizations.” The City University of New York, https://www.cuny.edu/current-students/student-affairs/student-life/activities-clubs-and-organizations/.

Basically this is a short introductory on the CUNY website claiming with the clubs and organizations have help students become more successful while involved in these clubs and organizations. In the article it says it has over “1,400 students clubs and organizations ( and counting !! ) among our 24 campuses. The motto that CUNY believes in when it comes to clubs is student engagement = student success , as the article continues they bring up how beneficial it is for students to be involved in the campus and the experience it brings for work life and everyday life. “It is well documented that students who are involved in the campus community excel academically “ if that’s the case statically speaking city tech which has no clubs or organizations that I know of fails to meet those standards and students are less involved which would mean we are losing potential students who want to come to city tech. This relatable to my topic because , it involves CUNY clubs and organizations and with all that’s being done for community colleges , what is the excuse for city tech not having anything ? CUNY preaches high praises and yet one of their schools lacks the standards.

Brachfeld, Ben. “Council Examines CUNY Budget, City Funding for Community Colleges.” Gotham Gazette, 8 Mar. 2019, https://www.gothamgazette.com/city/8340-council-examines-cuny-budget-city-funding-for-community-colleges.

The article is pretty much about CUNY itself which includes tuition , employees , budget and the role CUNY plays towards social movement forward. A woman who goes by the name of Inez Barron who is council member and is constantly arguing that CUNY should tuition -free and instead tuition is suppose to be raised by $250 per student. Mayor de Blasio’s preliminary budget was released in February , calls for 1.181 billion for CUNY in fiscal year 2020 and it being a decrease compared to this year which is 1.196 billion. In the adapted budget for this year included a $14 million cut from community colleges specifically from $1.143 billion to $1.129 billion. As the article goes on it involves a lot more number to increases and decreases for everything involved with CUNY colleges and this directly involves my topic because all of this funding and as tuition raises city tech can’t have a basketball team or anything in the lines of after school activities.

Martini, et al. “Canadian Undergraduates’ Reports of Co-Curricular Involvement across the Degree.” Teaching & Learning Inquiry, University of Calgary. Libraries & Cultural Resources, 410 University Court NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4, Canada. Tel: 403-220-7175; e-Mail: TLI@Ucalgary.ca; Web Site: https://Journalhosting.ucalgary.ca/Index.php/TLI/Index, 30 Nov. 2018, https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1213030.

The article is written by a Canadian undergraduate who found that co-curricular involvement is practically everything a college student remembers and cherishes after graduating. The study investigated university student beliefs and behaviors with respect to co- curricular activities among incoming, mid-degree- and graduating students and asked about significant experiences during their time in the university. The research found that incoming students intentions were to participate in some of co-curricular activity but uncertain on what to get into , as for graduating students they were more likely to report on a co-curricular activity than those related to coursework. Finding shown among mid degree and graduating students some were more involved with promoting co-curricular activities that who do more with developing career ready transferable skills.The article goes into more detail how its beneficial for student to have these type of activities because, it has them more involved with the school itself and boost their ego and more aware of their surrounding and being more involved in their communities or involvement in world problems which can bring about networking.This article helps support my topic because with all these self sufficient skills co-curricular activities bring it may influence a change in city tech and change the perspective on it helping students in CUNY to have an involvement in school rather it being boring and dreadful.

“Supplementing the ‘College Experience’ with Program-Based Learning Communities.” Taylor & Francis, https://naspa.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10668926.2018.1542637.

A study on first year criminal justice degree program at an urban community college in the northeast which was to show the benefits of a learning program , they gathered quantitative and qualitative data from the program based learning program , survey questions which examined students satisfaction with the learning community and their perception of social networking and the skills gained from the program in the learning community. They compared their data to previous years and the finding was that based on the learning program it increased positive experiences, reporting satisfaction and significant social networking and academic beliefs from the participation of the program.Findings also shown students exhibited greater academic progress and were retained at higher rates than any other first year criminal justice students so in the end the study was a success and it backs up my argument even more that city tech should have school programs/ co-curricular activities which is beneficial for students in the long run.As well as having student succeed it becomes a better picture for city tech and has a better chance of getting students to attend city tech.

Toni Ann
    Participant

Platzer, Rosalie “Women not in the kitchen: a look at gender equality in the restaurant industry” California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. March 2011.
    file:///C:/Users/Owner/Documents/GENDER%20INEQUALITY%20IN%20THE%20KITCHEN%20.pdf

the research conducted as a final project by the university highlights the gender bias and discrimination faced by aspiring female chefs in the culinary world. The research refers to this as the boy’s club effect. How females are not seen as a part of this club, as we are the weaker sex and our place although accepted and desired in-home kitchens and in homes is not desirable in the commercial or restaurant kitchens. The research shows how cultural norms which have helped to shape this ideology. How these cultural expectations as hindered their advancements. The research also gives sources to support the data collected.
    I believe this will help to give a better insight into the background of the issue, how it works, why it is so prevalent still today. as well as methods to mitigate this problem.

Arnett, Lisa “Beating gender discrimination in the restaurant industry” US foods.
    https://www.usfoods.com/our-services/business-trends/beating-gender-discrimination-in-the-restaurant-industry.html
    The article shows how the percentage of female chefs and female restaurant owners as increased to a significant extent compared to what it used to be within the industry. However, it still has a way to go. The article uses the experience and expertise of 6 top-notch female chefs within the field to share their insight into the problem and their means of dealing with the issue. I believe this will help in developing my methods on how to deal with the discrimination and sexist treatment faced by female chefs.

Dinakaran, Usha “culinary Arts: Sexism on my plate” Associate Professor. Department of Hotel Management. Deccan Herald. June 06.2018
    https://www.deccanherald.com/opinion/panorama/culinary-arts-sexism-my-plate-673699.html

this piece speaks about the wide pay disparity between the genders. How even with more women coming into the field they still don’t receive equal pay for their work, even though they work just as harder even harder at times to prove their worth. Irrespective of when they do reach the top of their field male gourmet experts will give slanderous remarks about their credibility as they are not convinced which ultimately drives them to reject the best opportunities.
    This will help to better argue that contrary to what some culinary expertise might say that it only affects females at the lower level it is still dominated at the top by males and it’s a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Buch, Clarissa “why the James Beard Foundation is Fostering today female chefs” observer March 21, 2018.
    Why the James Beard Foundation is Fostering Today’s Female Chefs

The article gathers information about the gender inequality and the lack of female representation within the culinary world using statistical data and how these numbers dwindle moving up the ladder, and its means to eradicate this problem with the help of people like the vice president of the national restaurant association. It speaks on how many women are unwilling to take the risk of being restaurant owners due to the biased culture. It’s initiative to combat this with the use of their Women entrepreneurial leadership program (WEI) developed with the help of the Babson College. It is believed that this is the idle time especially with the support of the “me too” movement.
    I believe this is a good source for my paper in developing similar countermeasures and a good reference source to draw data from.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Toni Ann.

Janet C.
    Participant

Bibliography

aaup.“Understanding the working college student”. Perna W. Laura, Jul-Aug.2010
    https://www.aaup.org/article/understanding-working-college-student#.XaXq6OdKiAI
    In this source the author points out the situation of graduation rates are lowering because students working more hours off campus or work lots of hours while being full and/or part time students in college. It also states that many students work because they have financial responsibilities and one of those is to pay off their college loans in order to get their education. Studies showed that many colleges want students to finish and get a degree but they believe that their off campus jobs distract them and most students begin to fall off track on their academic studies. This is a perfect source for my paper because it will help me write out on what can we do to help understand working college students, but furthermore research on what can we do to help working college students so that they can graduate and receive a degree.

Researchgate. “Academic Performance of College Students: the Influence of Time Spent Studying and Working”.Nonis A. Sarath, Hudson I. Gail, Jan.2006
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gail_Hudson/publication/254344820_Academic_Performance_of_College_Students_Influence_of_Time_Spent_Studying_and_Working/links/53e265dc0cf275a5fdd727d8/Academic-Performance-of-College-Students-Influence-of-Time-Spent-Studying-and-Working.pdf
    In this source they point out what will be the outcomes of students studying and students that do not because they spend more time working. Most students say that they do spend time studying at home but we can see that rates have decreased in the past years. I found this source helpful because it pointed out a survey about students talking about entering college and not knowing what they want to major in or they are concerned about the amount of money they will need to pay for their major and this why many students begin to work many hours to be able to pay their major and loans. Paying loans stresses a student out and it may also be that they begin to feel less motivated because the schools also do not help out. This source was very helpful because it pointed out studies and surveys of students academic performance, their struggles, and what can we do to help improve it ? what is the cause and why does no one research to help solve the problem.

CNBC. “More college students are working while studying” Rapacon, Stacy.29,Oct.2015
    https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/29/more-college-students-are-working-while-studying.html
    This source pointed out that there is a percentage of students that study work at the same time and they managed to do that perfectly, that is because they picked out a right job because they know how to take advantage of the school resources. What i can use from this article is that in reality not many colleges reach out to each and every student on campus to help be guided, most students have to come to seek out to the counselors, in my opinion it should really be the opposite and this is why no one understands working college students because with other responsibilities out of school they do not make the time to reach out to a counselor..

The atlantic. “The struggle of work-school balance”.White B.Gillan, 28,Oct,2015
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/work-school-balance-college/412855/
    In this source they talk about how college is impossible for most students due to the fact that college tuition is rising a lot within these past years and that should be no question on why many students are struggling to pay of loans and personal costs. This all connects to why a student may be stressing to balance out their study time with work and social life. But there is a positive outcome for those students who work more, at the end of the day with all the hard work many can still go back to college and pay their loans with the money saved up. I want to use this in my paper to also point out the good outcomes of working more hours. Students always saved up first in order to go to college and or do not go to college because of financial needs.
    Overall all my sources point out great factors that help us learn and understand more on how to understand and help out a working college student.

Joshua
    Participant

Batista, Denise. “Sign the Petition.” Change.org, http://www.change.org/p/city-of-new-york-reduced-unlimited-metrocards-for-college-students.

This piece talks about the financial struggle among New York State students especially when it comes to transportation. It also talks about the cheapest option college students have to purchase when it comes to using the MTA and how the price keeps increasing yearly, that is the 30 day unlimited card. In this piece it states a way of solving that problem which is a reduced 30-day unlimited metro card for college students should be implemented in the MTA system to help release the financial burden of college students trying to work towards their higher education. I think this piece is going to be a good source for my paper when solving this problem.

MUNOZ, LINETTE. “University Students Should Get a Reduced Fare MetroCard.” Am New York, Am New York, 24 Apr. 2015, http://www.amny.com/opinion/university-students-should-get-a-reduced-fare-metrocard-1.10308361.

This article talks about the many more struggle college students faced especially paying so much for transportation. In this article the author state that every time the fee is increase by a quarter it all adds to $40 or more at the end of semester. It leaves students to choose whether to go to class or , to purchase textbook or to work especially those with part time jobs. An interesting part that caught my attention in this piece is “But how are students supposed to enjoy “their campus” or “go anywhere” if the MTA makes that less and less possible?” because this kind of relates to me and I understand this struggle.

Goldman, Henry. “MTA Keeps Base Fare at $2.75, Drops Multi-Ride Card Bonus.” Bloomberg.com, Bloomberg, 2019, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-27/mta-keeps-base-fare-at-2-75-ends-bonuses-for-bigger-purchases.

This article talks about how the MTA discontinued multi ride bonuses meaning that consumers will not receive any extra benefits from their metro cards. Because of the discontinuation consumers will essentially be paying more for a service which remains unchanged. The reason this is going to be useful to me cause it provides a detailed explanation of how the discontinuation of the card bonuses will affect the community.

Fitzsimmons, Emma G. “Subway Fares Are Rising Again. But That Won’t Solve the M.T.A.’s Crisis.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 27 Feb. 2019, http://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/nyregion/mta-fares-hike.html.

This article also states about a major increase in prices on the MTA. It states how the single ride will remain $2.75, but there will be an increase on the cheapest plan the MTA have to offer. They will increase the prices on weekly and monthly metro card, which is a huge disadvantage towards college student. This article will help me to make my arguments needed to write this paper.

Todd
    Participant

Goldbeck, Lauren, and Alex Pew. “Violent Video Games and Aggression.” National Center for Health Research, 27 Mar. 2018, http://www.center4research.org/violent-video-games-can-increase-aggression/.
    This source, it talks about the connection between video games and aggression. It shows that they can be connections with aggression to video games but at the same time it also talks about how little the connection is. They mention numerous studies about the topic. I believe this will help my paper because it shows the connection between video games and aggression from a nonbiased source.

“10 Reasons Why Video Games Are Good for You, Sometimes.” The Ultimate Resource for Video Game Design, http://www.gamedesigning.org/why-video-games-are-good/.
    This source shows the benefits of playing video games. It improves decision making, improves social skills, enhances ability to learn, improves coordination and many, many more. this will be useful for my paper because it shows the positive of video games while people try to associate it with negative effects especially violence.

Cara, Ed. “Science Finds Once Again That Violent Video Games Don’t Turn People Into Rage Monsters.” Gizmodo, Gizmodo, 16 Mar. 2018, gizmodo.com/science-finds-once-again-that-violent-video-games-dont-1823811169
    In this source, this pretty much has studies and experiments about the link between violence and video games. In one experiment they had a sample size of 77 and had three control groups. One group played violent video games(GTA 5) everday for 30 minutes, One played nonviolent video games(Sims 3), and the last group didn’t play video games at all. The test lasted for 2 months and in the end, there was no significant increase in anything that links to aggression before and after the experiment in all three groups. It later talks about misassumption about video games including our president. This will help my paper because it is full of experiments showing video games lack of increasing aggression and violence in a person.

Bailey, Ronald. “Violent Video Games Don’t Make Players More Violent IRL.” Reason.com, Reason, 14 Feb. 2019, reason.com/2019/02/14/violent-video-games-dont-make-players-mo/
    In this source just like the last one, it shows more studies of video games and a lack of increase in violence. This one includes experiments from another country. In this study, they took 1,004 British video game players ages 14 and 15, of which 540 participants identified as male, 461 as female, and 3 as another gender orientation. They took games from E.U and the USA that were rate pretty high and they let them play it. Just like the last source, there wasn’t any significant connection between violence and video games. This will help my paper due to its shows, other countries link to video games and violence. Countries like Britain lack any real violence with guns, so video games increasing violence isn’t a problem over there compare to America.

ArchAlex
    Participant

Saarinen, Teemu. “Toxic Behavior in Online Video Games.” Toxic Behavior in Online Video Games, 11 May 2017, http://jultika.oulu.fi/files/nbnfioulu-201706022379.pdf.

This source is one of three academic sources that can shed light on toxicity in video games. This source has tons of information but I will only be using it for its evaluation on what is toxicity. It explains types of toxic behavior that is not always prevalent in every game. Sabotaging a team is toxic in games where their requires team cooperation. Page 41 of the PDF explains the types of themes of toxicity. Veteran players generally have witnessed a toxic teammate throughout years of playing as seen in his study. In my paper, I have to explain what the definition of toxic behavior is as it can mean many things.

Kwak, Haewoon, et al. Exploring Cyberbullying and Other Toxic Behavior in Team Competition Online Games. 2015, https://syslab.cs.washington.edu/papers/lol-chi15.pdf.

This academic source helps establish a more analytical approach to toxicity. “While the widely adopted game design element of competition increases enjoyment [52], it has also led to an increasing concern about negative behavior.” This source was created before League of Legends ( the game I am calling an action for) deleted their player reporting system also known as “The Tribunal”. Since then there are only administrative bans and suspension. Reporting a player does not have enough grounds as much as previous years when the tribunal was still around. Toxicity in league of legends is at an all time high and bringing back the tribunal is one of the things I would support. Also this group that created this source also created a linguistic analysis for another academic source below.

Kwak, Haewoon & Blackburn, Jeremy. (2014). Linguistic Analysis of Toxic Behavior in an Online Video Game. 8852. 10.1007/978-3-319-15168-7_26.

The URL to this is :
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267157088_Linguistic_Analysis_of_Toxic_Behavior_in_an_Online_Video_Game

This report expresses types of toxicity as in my first source but adds an analytical approach on linguistics in game. This in turn showcases how toxicity spills out over a game and into chat. Without the tribunal, players can still get around automated suspensions via toxic chat.

Hayward, Andrew, et al. “Esports Essentials: League of Legends and the Rise of MOBA Esports.” The Esports Observer, 12 Sept. 2018, https://esportsobserver.com/esports-essentials-league-of-legends/.

Mobalytics. “Research: Climbing Stats in Ranked League of Legends.” Mobalytics, https://mobalytics.gg/lol-ladder-research/.

My two general sources are both in reference to League of legends. Esport Essentials explains how the game became a widely known Esport. It explains the top teams and earnings; as well as their sponsors. High ranking players will have opportunities to play for these teams if they display no signs of toxicity and have consistency of top play. I will use this source to explain how important it is for top players to not be toxic. There are many current top players that are toxic and cannot enter pro play because of it. This ruins the potential of a region to perform at the highest stage “Worlds”. Worlds is the biggest tournament of league of legends were multiple regions face off which is occurring right now.

The research source explains how ladder ranking works in League of Legends. It explains the variation of rankings and the difficulty of climbing(ranking up). In regards to climbing, having a smaller group of champions to play and more practiced on them leads to better climbing. BUT it is a weakness in pro play as having a wider group will lead to better chances of winning. I will utilize this source as it pertains to how to become a top ranked player and its difficulty.

Mykhal Parson
    Participant

1) “Predatory monetization schemes in video games are purchasing systems that disguise or withhold the long‐term cost of the activity until players are already financially and psychologically committed”, is an academic piece where the two authors inform us of a term called “predatory monetization”, a term used to describe the sneaky ways that companies pressure users to purchase in-game items (‘limited time’ offers). Also, it introduces a relatively new disorder, IGD (Internet Gaming Disorder), which may be another thing I could look into for my paper. This academic piece is useful to me because it goes deeper into the methods mentioned in my general sources. These methods can include pressure, collection of player data, and “predatory monetization”. This article is useful because it shows the psychological side of in-game purchases on some gamers.
    King, Daniel L., and Paul H. Delfabbro. “Predatory Monetization Schemes in Video Games (E.g. ‘Loot Boxes’) and Internet Gaming Disorder.” Wiley Online Library, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd (10.1111), 28 June 2018, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/add.14286.

2) “Unfair Play? Video Games as Exploitative Monetized Services: An Examination of Game Patents from a Consumer Protection Perspective”, is another piece by Daniel King which shows how companies can manipulate users into making many in-game purchases. This article includes logos in various parts in order to show how children are making a large amount of purchases when he says “recent research by the eSafety Commssioner which reported that 34% of young people aged 8–17 years had made in-game purchases in the previous 12-month period” (2018). This article is useful for me because besides the fact that it shows that younger people contribute to in-game purchases, game developers have made patents in order to control the way gamers buy items as well.
    King, Daniel L., et al. “Unfair Play? Video Games as Exploitative Monetized Services: An Examination of Game Patents from a Consumer Protection Perspective.” Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 101, Dec. 2019, pp. 131–143. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1016/j.chb.2019.07.017.
    3) “Microtransactions Are Killing the Game Industry”, by Christian Helms of Medium.com, shows the reader several reasons why microtransactions are bad for video games. Three reasons are because video games nowadays strip out content, sell cosmetics only, and some games are pay to win. “Stripping out content” is a method used by companies in which they take out things that should be included in the game and make the users pay for them later. “Pay to win” is when anyone can be “good” at a game with the help of using real money to purchase better items. This is useful for my paper because it provides basic reasons why microtransactions aren’t as good as they seem, and it also provides solutions to limiting these microtransactions.
    Helms. “Microtransactions Are Killing The Gaming Industry.” Medium, Medium, 12 Jan. 2019, https://medium.com/@ChristianmHelms/microtransactions-are-killing-the-gaming-industry-79fd4fdbdcfd.

4) “Video Games and Gambling: An Introduction to Loot Boxes, Microtransactions, and In-App Purchases”, by Cam Adair, is another general source that is about basic terms (and negative concepts) involving microtransactions in video games. His first sentence is perhaps the most impactful one of the article, “Games are no longer what they used to be—fun, simple, and innocent”. Also, Adair mentions a study where “the loot boxes in almost half (45%) of the 22 games analyzed met the criteria to be considered psychologically similar to gambling, even though they are rated as appropriate for adolescent players under the age of consent for gambling”. This article is useful for my paper because video game companies are using a method to force people of all ages (especially children) to gamble, which is hurting the fun of video games. Another interesting thing that came out of this article that’ll be useful is the fact that parents have faced psychological issues too with the purchases their children have made.
    Adair, Cam. “Video Games and Gambling: An Introduction to Loot Boxes, Microtransactions, and In-App Purchases.” Game Quitters, 24 Sept. 2018, https://gamequitters.com/video-games-and-gambling-an-introduction-to-loot-boxes-microtransactions-and-in-app-purchases/.

Francky
    Participant

“View of Survey of Dietary and Exercise Habits and Perceived Barriers to Following a Healthy Lifestyle in a College Population”
    https://journals.calstate.edu/cjhp/article/view/1729/1570
    This article talks about lifestyle of college students based on their eating habits and the effects. It provides a survey on students on many students who have BMI superior than 25 based on what they eat almost every day, and the diseases that cause a bad diet and a lack of exercise. I will use this article to show the importance or benefits of workout on a college student’s life who often tend to concentrate or focus more on school work and ignore the body health

“Physical Activity, Exercise, and Sedentary Behavior in College Students”
    Buckworth, Janet
    Nigg, Claudio
    Source: Journal of American College Health; Jul/Aug2004, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p28-34, 7p
    This article is about the relationship between physical activities, exercise, and sedentary life of college students. It embraces the different physical activities and provides the benefits on the human health. It also compares the desire of exercising between gender. I will this article to show the behavior and impact of any physical activity on a student.

“9 Reasons Why You’ll Benefit to Join a Gym Right Now”
    https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2014/12/25/reasons-gym-
    This articles provides the different provides about 9 reason for anyone to join a gym. It states that a regular exercise routine is one of the surest paths to longer and healthier life. Il will use this article to boost the need of anyone (not only student) to do at least one physical activity, and also to provide information about different ways that might be helpful.

“Does Gym Help Students Perform Better in All Their Classes?”
    Michael Gonchar – https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/does-gym-help-students-perform-better-in-all-their-classes/
    This article talks more about how children can lean and perform better. It talks about Children who are physically fit absorb and retain new information more effectively than children who are out of shape. This sources will be useful for my paper because it shows that physical education is good either for college students and high school as well. I will use to show how productive a children can be by doing a physical activity.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Francky.

Elsa
    Participant

General sources
    1. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/10/19/1707948/-Daily-Kos-US-Workers-Are-Overworked-and-Underpaid-Why
    In this article it explains why workers get paid less because most companies hired employee as a part-time job due to their lose in public assistances such as, food stamp and health insurance. Companies like Walmart’s employees get payed little and because of this they require food stamps and Medicaid. In America one out of four Americans some who are mostly low paid workers don’t get a paid off day. However, in Europeans countries such as Germany, workers get at least a minimum of four weeks of paid vacation and an additional 13 paid holidays each year. This information that I read is really useful for my topic because it gives me examples and evidence to show me why jobs in America are unfair to workers.

2. https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2014.html
    According to this article employee don’t feel safe in the environment they work in. For example, an estimation of one to five Americans is exposed to dangerous and unsafe working conditions. These conditions can affect workers by threatening their safety. Also, many workers can go through physically and emotionally problems during there worksite. This information that I read will help me with my topic because it gives a lot of evidence of working conditions in America.

Scholar Sources

1. https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/3449871/living-low-paid.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DLiving_low_paid_some_experiences_of_Aust.pdf&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A%2F20191016%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20191016T033815Z&X-Amz-Expires=3600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=ea1c99fd5edd23516c8adcf86c7723a4f08b73c2c749bb3545bb15de5fa13013
    In this report the author explains how employees live a hard life with low pay by showing readers the perspectives of many workers. They struggle every single day to get their needs especially single mothers, a housekeeper, and cleaners. In the report it is shown that they need to have two jobs in order to survive to pay their bills. Most people who don’t get paid enough; can’t buy luxury stuffs such as a car, not being able to go and eat in restaurants. This helps me with my topic because I am able to read about other people’s life’s and hear the part of their story rather than from the author.

Anabil
    Participant

General sources
    Video games help depression
    “I felt like I was trapped in a cage, I struggled.” There are video games that help you fight off depression. The game teaches you on how to learn to overcome the problems there are in the game. You learn and use the same process in real life. There’s a lot more to it, you talk to other people online. Keep yourself busy, learn to solve problems. There are times you’re unable to talk about your problems knowing you may get judged. But then when you’re anonymous you can talk about your issues and get a suggestion. Online games build relationships and mentally it helps you. You smile, laugh feels better and even for a little bit, you’re not thinking about the issues you’re going through.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/24/technology/personaltech/depression-anxiety-video-games.html

Games built to make you see what you’re going through more effectively, but seeing your struggle recreated by someone you’ve never even met can help you feel less alone and better understood. If you talk to a non-depressed person, they won’t understand what you’re going through. But games do a great job at this. Some learn from games and apply in life, some kill time and to get away from thoughts. There may be a lot of arguments on how games are bad. But then there are good things about it as well.
    https://geekandsundry.com/how-video-games-can-help-with-depression-and-anxiety/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Anabil.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.