ENG 1101 Fall 2021 0277

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 10/05 Post your found quotes here...

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

A, B, and C

Please post what you find.

Jaheim Wilson
    Participant

A)

1. “Keep moving forward” -Walt Disney (Meet the Robinsons)

2. “15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance” -Geico

3. “May the force be with you” – Star Wars

4. “There’s no place like home” -Alice in Wonderland

5. “I’ll be back”-Terminator

6.” Here’s Johhny!” -The Shining

B.

1) Money: “All that glitters isn’t gold.”

2) Work: “Think outside the box”

3) Children: “Children see magic because they look for it.”

4) Marriage: “A successful marriage often requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.”

5) Reigion: “We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on difficulties.”

C.

1) “Life is hard but so very beautiful.” -Abraham Lincoln

2) “The tempt for greatness is the greatest drug in the world.”–Mike Tyson

3) “Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans.” –John Lennon

4) “I don’t stop when I’m tired, I stop when I’m done.” –Marilyn Monroe

5) “In a gentle way you can change the world.”–Mahatma Gandi

A)
    15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance – Geico commercial

“I am your father” – Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

B)
    Money: “Only buy something that you’d be perfectly happy to hold if the market shuts down for ten years.” – Warren Buffett

Work: “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Children: “Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” — Margaret Mead, cultural anthropologist

Marriage: “We loved with a love that was more than love.” – Edgar Allan Poe

Religion: “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” ― C.S. Lewis

C)
    “Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren’t very new after all.” ― Abraham Lincoln

“It’s good to know how to read, but it’s dangerous to know how to read and not how to interpret what you’re reading.” – Mike Tyson

“All you need is love.” – John Lennon

“If I’d observed all the rules, I’d never have got anywhere.” – Marilyn Monroe

“An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Jaheim,

Glad you replied so quickly.

There are things to know, to do better:
    The second grouping of quotes have no authors; thus, they are incomplete!

There’s no place like home” is from The Wizard of Oz

It is better to say the character and the film, ex. –Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars
    –Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz

I doubt Walt Disney said that, but you could say, —Walt Disney’s Meet the Robinsons

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Nicely done, Malkut.

I would add the character and the film:
    –Darth Vader, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

matthewf
    Participant

A) 1. “When you want the real deal, like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.” – State Farm commercial

2. It’s alive! It’s alive!” – Frankenstein movie Well, there are so many of these movies, it would be better to write down the year in parenthesis and to underline or italicize the movie’s name.

B) Money: “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” -Benjamin Franklin

Work: “I never took a day off in my twenties.” – Bill Gates

Children: “Children are our most valuable resource.” – Herbert Hoover

Marriage: “When a man opens a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.” – Prince Philip

Religion: “My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.” – Abraham Lincoln

C) “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” – Abraham lincoln
    “My biggest weakness is my sensitivity. I am too sensitive a person.” – Mike Tyson
    “Love is the flower you’ve got to let grow.” – John Lennon
    “Fear is stupid. So are regrets.” – Marilyn Monroe
    “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” – Mahatma Gandhi

These are all very good choices. Please use a dash before the source’s name, not just a hyphen,

Obrien Eastman
    Participant

A). 1. John 15:13-“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” The source goes last.
    2.”May the Force be with you.” – Star Wars, 1977 I’d add the speaker’s name and then italicize or underline the movie title.

B). 1. “The rich invest their money and spend what is left; the poor spend their money and invest what is left.”
    2. “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” -Tim Notke, coach. What sport? What team?
    These next three are not good enough without sources. Sources add credibility.
    3. “The soul is healed by being with children”
    4. “The highest happiness on earth is the happiness of marriage.”
    5. “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”

C). 1.“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” – Abraham lincoln
    2.“My biggest weakness is my sensitivity. I am too sensitive a person.” – Mike Tyson
    3.“All you need is love.” – John Lennon
    4.“I don’t stop when I’m tired, I stop when I’m done.” –Marilyn Monroe
    Aren’t you missing someone? There should be five.

Michael
    Participant

A)
    1) “its over Anakin I have the high ground”-star wars revenged of the sith Incorrect grammar on the title and it needs capitals and underlining or italics.

2) “For a great low rate you can get online go to the general and save some time”-The General
    B)
    1) Money: “Wealth is the smallest thing on earth, the least gift that God has bestowed on mankind”-Abraham Lincoln

2) Work: “People work better when they know what the goal is and why. It is important that people look forward to coming to work in the morning and enjoy working.”-Elon musk

3) Children: “our greatest natural resource or the mind of children’s.”-Walt Disney grammar

You must start each quote with a capital letter.

4) Marriage: “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, and half-shut afterwards”-Benjamin Franklin

5) Religion: “Religion is one tree with many branches. As branches, you may say, religions are many, but as a tree, religion is only one.” -Mahatma Gandhi
    C)
    1) “Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln

2) “I think the average person thinks I’m a nut and I deserve whatever happens to me.”–Mike Tyson

3) “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” –John Lennon

4) “Dogs never bite me. Just humans.” –Marilyn Monroe

5) “Where there is love there is life..”–Mahatma Gandhi

Pretty good quotes. Remember you need dashes before the sources, not just hyphens.

Osman Hassan
    Participant

A)
    May the force be with you” -Star Wars I’d add the speaker’s name and then italicize or underline the movie title.
    “An eye for an aye” -The Bible With the Bible, you need to add the chapter and verse

Aye???

“Don’t wait, call eight” -Cellino & Barnes commercial

B) These first two are missing their sources, Having the sources adds weight and credibility.
    Money “Don’t spend what you don’t have”
    Work “Don’t be busy, be productive”
    Children “Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.” -Margaret Mead, cultural anthropologist
    Marriage “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin

Who’s that? Please identify him or her.
    Religion “When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” -Abraham Lincoln

C)
    “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.” -Abraham Lincoln
    “I’m a nut case, but that is what I believe.” -Mike Tyson
    “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.” -John Lennon
    “A smart girl leaves before she is left.” -Marilyn Monroe
    “An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Overall, pretty good quotes. You need dashes before the sources,not just hyphens.

Daniela S
    Participant

A)
    “What goes around comes around.”
    “Procrastination is the thief of time.” – Charles Dickens
    “Call Jake from State Farm.” by Charles Dickens, ‘David Copperfield’
    “I’ve got a pocket got a pocketful of sunshine…”
    “Wazzuuuuuuuuup” Scary Movie
    B)
    “They say money doesn’t bring you happiness, but neither does being broke.”
    “If your plan doesn’t work, change the plan and never the goal.”
    “To all our children; we hope you never give up on your dreams, no matter how silly they may sound.”
    “A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.”
    “When life gets too hard to stand, kneel.”
    C)
    “I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.” – Abraham Lincoln
    “As long as we persevere and endure, we can get anything we want.” -Mike Tyson
    “Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.”
    “Fear is stupid. So are regrets.” – Marilyn Monroe
    “Where there is love there is life.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.