2017 Spring – MAT 2680 Differential Equations – Reitz

active 10 hours, 46 minutes ago
Jonas Reitz
Mathematics
MAT 2680
Spring 2017

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to one or more of its derivatives.

– The above rather boring description does little to convey just how fundamental, widespread, and amazingly effective differential equations are in describing the world around us.

– Examples: Anything in motion. Also, many things that are not in motion. Also, many additional things to which the word “motion” does not really apply.

– Further examples: spaceships in orbit, populations growing and shrinking, a cup of coffee slowly cooling, springs bouncing, financial markets rising and falling, electrical current flowing through a circuit, ocean waves, sound waves, light waves, vibrations in musical instruments and airplane wings and suspension bridges,

– More examples: Pretty much everything.

Topics include methods of solving ordinary differential equations and applications to various problems.

Course Avatar and Site Header from a photo by Flickr user darkdenver (Steven Bratman): https://www.flickr.com/photos/darkdenver/

Exam 1 SPECIAL OFFER Scoring Guide

For your reference, here is the scoring guide I will be using for the EXAM 1 Special […] See MoreExam 1 SPECIAL OFFER Scoring Guide

Assignments Week 9

WeBWorK: Assignment  9-Nonhomogeneous  due Tuesday, 4/4, at midnight. OpenLab: The deadline fo […] See MoreAssignments Week 9

Resources on repeated roots and complex roots (second order linear homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients)

Hi everyone, My apologies for missing class today (my daughter is sick).  I missed you!   […] See MoreResources on repeated roots and complex roots (second order linear homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients)

Thanks, Algenis - great job in describing the way your project works, and the automation you have included. :) See More

Despite the raw computing power of other platforms, I have always liked Excel and other […] See More

Cody, I have only limited experience with Matlab development - I'm looking forward to seeing your […] See More

Advice from the Past

The advice i would give to anyone who is taking a math course (even to myself) is to study hard and do the homework because it helps a lot. Coming from some one who is taking differential and its not really that good in math, its in your […] See MoreAdvice from the Past