For this project, I started with a mind map and wrote everything that drives my curiosity. While writing this, I went with the concepts of self awareness and self discovery. 

Self awareness and discovery are connected. Self awareness being the push that is needed to keep discovering new things. Being self aware can be associated with finding new pieces of one self, self reflection, the feeling of seeing two sides one oneself. 

Below are a few elements taken into consideration while on the process of creating the final four sketches. 

Two topics came to mind while thinking of how to picture self awareness and discovery were, incomplete puzzle pieces, looking at your own reflection, coming face to face with your own self. At first, I wanted to focus on creating variations of puzzle pieces being missing from a human face, and even drawing a female body to refer the “self” part, and drawing missing puzzle pieces as “awareness”. The lightbulb concept coming as a “discovery” symbol.

On the next six boxes, I focused on a variation of two face silhouettes facing each other. In this concept, it is focused solely on the awareness part. Being able to portray what it feels coming face to face with oneself and showing it as a way to reflect and discover the other side of an individual’s identity. 

For my final 4 panels, I decided to create an abstract way of these two concepts. The first panel shows the silhouette of a hollow face. I included this as a first step, a feeling of emptiness that comes from having an identity crisis. The second panel is a silhouette of a split face representing self awareness of one’s self identity. The third panel represents coming face to face to one self, and the last panel represents the final part of becoming self aware. Finding the missing piece. 

This was a really fun project, yet challenging. I focused on this specific topic because I wanted to be able to portray these stages as best as I could in the final four panels.