Astor Wine Shop By: Stephon Watford

Outside of Astor Wines and Spirits

For my Wine shop retail analysis I decided to go to Astor wines and spirits located on 399 Lafayette St, New York, NY 10003, the area was very familiar to me and the shop was easy to find. When I walked in I was surprised to see how big the size was for a wine shop it was almost as if I walked into a small supermarket dedicated to wines spirits. I looked around at first then I began to look for help because I was so overwhelmed by all the columns and rows of wines, so I was able to speak with wine specialist Jared who was very pleasant and easy to talk to after explaining to him I am a wine student who is studying I was able to ask him allot of questions referring to demographics and things of that nature. I started off by asking him what kind of customers do they get and his answer was that they get a big range of customers but recently they have been seeing alot of younger people taking an interest in wine lately which is something he is happy about. I also asked him which type of wine and which wine do they sell the best and he responded by saying that there is not right or wrong answer for any of those questions it just all depends. As far as the type that sells the most would probably depend most on season and right now red is the best selling since its fall, and for the best selling wine he feels that New World Chardonnay is selling rapidly and also case wines which is something that alot of customers like to purchase especially if there a member to receive discounts. Next I asked in about areas in which most of their wines are from and the most exclusive wine varieties. Jared let me know that they wines from all over like Asia, South Africa and more but most of there wines come from Europe both new world and old world and then he said the most rare/ exclusive wine they have right now is from the Loire valley by producer Joley. Lastly I asked how do they choose there wines he told me that they two wine buyers that shop and taste each and every wine and rate them through a process to see which ones they feature. Jared was so in formative and so where the other associates I was able to fine out that once you become a member you enroll in a benefits program that features some of the wines that the associates actually have picked themselves I thought that we so interesting because that’s such a great way to interact with customers in a personal level and they even offer wine tastings. I was also pleased to see wines that we have studied in class from the Loire valley and Riesling wines from Germany in fact I saw that amazing wine we tasted called Butterfly by Zilliken . Overall this was an amazing experience Astor wines and spirits is such a friendly and welcoming enviorment ready to help anyone who is new to wines or for some one who knows exactly what they want!

Butterfly By. Zilliken

Case Wines / Memebers pick from Portugal

Botanica Pinot Nior from South Africa also Staff Pick

Refreshing Reisling

2 thoughts on “Astor Wine Shop By: Stephon Watford

1. Stephon,

I enjoy reading your visit at Astor Wine & Spirits. I also visited that retail wine shop and had a similar experience as yours. I am glad that you mention about their wine tasting because I didn’t. I did not know much about their wine tasting but since you asked question about it, it is extremely informative. Great job!