The Analysis of Astors Wine Spirits And Flatirons By Donald Powe

ABSTRACT

From the past two weeks I researched several Wine & Spirt shops around the downtown Brooklyn and lower Manhattan.  I called shops got turned down for request to interview managers or employees who had any knowledge of Wines. Some Shops were willing but they were on days that were inconvenience to me but I thank you them for their consideration. In total I visited four wine shop but I decided primarily to discuss two wine shops. The two other wine shops will be briefly discussed.  The two wine shops that I visited in Brooklyn were purely for observation purposes.  I wanted to see inside beverage shops that have a variety of wines and have wines from around the world or at least wines that were covered in class for the past several weeks.  I wanted to witness shops who cater to their customer and ultimately I wanted to have a discussion about wine.

“Nicolas Feuillatte Brut” A Sparkling wine from the region of Champagne with a rose blend of brut.

The first shop in Brooklyn that I was Michael Town Wines and Spirits located at 73 Clark St. Michael Town Wines sell a variety of wines in small yet decent sized wine shop. They also sell cognac, bourbons, whiskies located mostly behind the register.  There wines though I appreciated the selection they had from different countries but what they lacked were the organization. In depth they had wines from Germany, France, Argentina, Chile, the grape varieties did differ but were grouped together with their represented countries. The store had red, white, dry, sweet wines in one section of the shelves from France. You couldn’t barley tell the wines apart. I could tell from the region, appellation or at times the sub appellations. I needed to investigate these wines in this shop.

A Featured wine from Astor Wine Spirits. ” Tenuta Rapitala” A wine with a Sicilian Terrior and a french wine making style of the grape Variety Grillo.

The second shop was Heights Chateau located on 123 Atlantic Avenue. I really endured what they had to offer in wines.  It was a shop that offered not only a variety of wines but it also seemed to dedicate itself to wines and the education of wine at least from my perspective.  What I observed Were once from France and Italy.  They had other wines from other countries but my focus was primarily on those two countries.  What amazed me was the organization of the French wines. Their French wines covered regions from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Alsace, the Loire Valley, the Rhone Valley and many other regions of France. Each of those regions had a dedicated shelf and had their dominant grapes along the vintage year organized in order. It was good to see a red dominant grape wine like Merlot in it home grown region of Bordeaux shelved and on display.

Even though the Heights Chateau gave me insight of what to really expect for purchasing a wine I wanted a better experience. So I went to Manhattan but this time with a series of question to ask. I wanted to ultimately compare these next two shops. The 1st shop, Astor Wine and Spirits located 300 Lafayette ST, the other wine and beverage shop Flatiron Wine and Spirits, located at 929 Broadway. The 1st shop I entered was Astor Wines and Spirits at first glance inside the shop it looked like a wine emporium or a Wholesale store to purchase wine but I was wrong.  As I took further steps inside I would consider it the “Whole Foods Market’ of wines. Astor’s had representations of French and mostly Italian wine but with a real great selection. There vintages prices range from $20 to $700 that was before I entered their wine cellar.  Flatiron Wines though had a more intimate feel to their establishment. From the inside it seemed quite but it was completely busy but quick.

Pinot Rose
Present by Heights Chateau. This blended rose wine from France made from the region of Sancerre with a 2016 Vintage

The questions I had prepared to ask both representatives had similar answers but I was more concerned with their contrast answers. The 1st question that had me engaged with both shops was. “Who is your target demographic? “That was question that each shop answered differently Flatiron answered their target demographic are millennials.  I asked why and the Robby who took the time to answer all of my question answered, “well Millennials drink nearly half of the wine purchased from wine shops. Robert no relation to Robby at Flatirons shop.  Answered “Our demographic is mid 20’s to late 50’s.  Both establishment did have wine cellars for their premier Cru wines in which the kept the storage temperature relatively the same between 58- 62 degrees Fahrenheit. I asked both establishments, what were the considerations for purchasing wine from a specific country, region, or appellation?”

Robert responded by telling me “it’s by popularity, most of our wines are Italian and French but we try to buy more Italian wines because the market is flooded with French wines and there can be a better appreciation for Italian wines in some time.”  Robby from Flatiron responded a little bit differently it was more from a scientific and perhaps from a tasting perspective. The response was “It depends on the vintage year the producer, the actual aging and vinfication of the grape wine.  While discussing the taste of wine I also asked. “Do you taste your vintage wines and what impact does it have? Robby answered with assurance. “Absolutely the taste has the biggest on our wines and also our taste makes an impact on choices for our customers.” That being said I wanted to further expand their thoughts on the taste of wines. I wanted to know from Robert from Astor wines. “Can you distinguish wine from its grape variety of similar genetics such as Riesling and pinot noir from a different region or country?

Robert answered me by comparing Riesling. “Yes from the taste Riesling muzzle has a more of a fruit characteristic. I asked the same question to Robby from Flatiron Spirits his response I enjoyed. “Let’s say we have a grape variety of Pinot Noir in France and we have Pinot Noir grown in Oregon. What separates the two taste is the terroir also they are both dry wines. In France Pinot Noir is more acidic and needs more time to develop. In the U.S Oregon Pinot Noir is more fruiter, sweeter and the grapes tend to be much larger than French so we get more sugar, more than acid and we receive more juice.

I stalled for time I realized both establishments were busy but I asked important filler questions about there wine such as what wines from a particular region, appellation or sub appellations contributes to your sales and the gross profit?   Robby from Flatiron wines told me that. “There are certain sub regions that are expensive I they somehow get any Grand Cru’s in their possession they usually make more money on from those purchases.  From Astor’s wines Robert Answered it’s the Premier Cru’s and the Italian wines that contribute to the sales.  I wanted to know besides the demographic who was the general target market. Robby said anyone who indulges in are more expensive bottle and Robert from Astor’s explained they also deliver throughout the United States so the whole country they deliver to as a whole.  I asked both representatives from both shops. “Are there any issues with customers with theft or unfulfilled orders or promises from vendors and distributors”?

Robert replied Not specifically and Robby said no. The last question I asked both Robby and Robert was.  “How long has each establishment ben open for Astor Wine & Spirits has been open at the 399 Lafayette location for about 10 years but the company itself has been around for over 50 years.  Flatiron Wines & Spirits has branched out as well having shops in San Francisco, California area.  Both shops were able to help me identify wines and have a better appreciation of wine at the Flatiron New York location I purchased a Hungarian Rose wine that was enjoyable but high in acidity. I enjoyed this project very much and I’m looking forward toward the next assignment.

” Tenuta Rapitala” A wine with a Sicilian Terrior and a french wine making style of the grape Variety Grillo.