La Vid Wine and Spirits and Astor Wines and Spirits

Wine Adventures

For my Wine Retail Shop Analysis, I decided to go to two shops because no two shops are the same. My boss recommended I go to Astor Wines and Spirits, located at 399 Lafayette St, because she knows fond I am of Champagne, Riesling and Prosecco. Ironically enough, Astor Wine and Spirits was on the list of recommended shops so that gave me two reasons to visit.

Astor Wines and Spirits storefront

Hours of Operation

The second shop I decided to visit was La Vid Wine and Spirits located at 315 Avenue of the Americas. I chose to go to this shop because I have a membership and it’s near my job so I stop by when I have free time before or after my shift.

Display window at La Vid full of the season!

La Vid Wines and Spirits is a small family-owned wine shop in the West Village. All of the store associates are super polite and enjoyed speaking with me for the Wine Analysis. One of the very first question I asked was about the style of the boutique and what are they focused on. They replied that they focus on supporting sustainable and local producers. They also let me know that they support winemakers that practice organic, bio-dynamic, sustainable farming. I then asked what’s the general prices range of the wines sold on the boutique and they explained that they have a great deal of focus on value priced wines. They also told me they have lots of quality wine at under $20 which I can attest to.

Wines under 20 bucks!

From La Vid!!!

The next question I asked was about delivery services and they explained that they offer free local delivery and late hours, most days of the week they close at 12pm so it gives shoppers an opportunity to get to the store before it closes because people who work in the local restaurants like me don’t get out of work until minutes to 12pm so I can run over a pick something up before they close. I didn’t ask about their membership program only because I am a member, their program offers a rewards program that you receive a point every dollar you spend and when you get to 100 points you get 10 dollars store credit. As well as information on new wines, wine tastings, and events held in the shop. I am more a fan of smaller wine boutiques so this store was ideal for me.

When I first walked into Astor Wines and Spirits I was surprised by the size of the shop ad a whole. From the outside the shop doesn’t look as big as it does when you walk down into the shop.

What you see when you enter the shop

The shop is very well organized; every aisle has a sign with the region in which the wines come from. There is even a section specially for Champagnes off the side.

Specials, important info and wine tastings are clearly presented on a board and table as soon as you walk in.

Clearance section.

It was very easy to find help, everyone is so attentive and happy to help the best way they can. I was able to speaker to a store associate named Jared, after explaining that I was a wine student at the New York City College of Technology and was doing a Wine Retail Shop Analysis he dedicated his time into answering all of my questions. I began by asking him about the shops demographics and what is the general age range of customers who shop there and he replied they receive a wide range of shoppers all ages and the younger crowd is taking and interest in wine which excites him because he has new people to assist in picking the perfect wines according to their taste. I then asked him when is the busiest time of the year and he responded from October- January during the holidays.

“What to drink this fall”

I asked what’s a popular seller and he told me that New World Chardonnays receive lots of attention. The last question I asked Jared was there was a membership program in place and he let me know that they have a very active membership program which provides discounts, benefits and a weekly newsletter on what’s new and happening. He also let me know that the members of the program and store associates put together cases they call “20 under 20” which they believe are quality products that should be shared with the public.

“20 under 20” bundles made by the membership team alongside the store associates!

Around the store there are tags that read “Staff Picks” I asked another store associate Kevin what that meant and he explained to me that some of the members and customers buy bottles that they are interested in and they all agree what wines should be showcased around the store that would otherwise be overlooked.

Yellow tags are staff picks and red tags are discounted wines

What I bought from Astor Wines.
Butterfly Riesling and Washington Cabernet Sauvignon

2 thoughts on “La Vid Wine and Spirits and Astor Wines and Spirits

1. I really like the decor and design of this shop. Everything is neatly organized and visually appealing. I also noticed the unopened boxes laying around the shop, similar to the shop that I have visited. It adds to their charm.

It’s easy to get lost in a huge selection of wines but finding a wine under $20 is not hard which is great news for casual drinkers.