Glossary Reflection

1. Inaction
  2. Sentiment
  3. Susceptible
  4. Commensurate
  5. Noncognitive
  6. Etiquette
  7. Alienation
  8. Gallantry
  9. Retorted
  10. Ventured
  11. Scimitar

This was my first English class in College. When Professor Garcia first introduced us the glossary assignments, my first initial thoughts were like “is this a joke” because it sounded so easy. To me, finding a word from a text that isn’t familiar to me and writing the definition seemed like what homework would’ve been back in High school freshman year. But it’s a lot more than just a simple homework assignment. It is a very effective and efficient way of improving our vocabulary and enhances our understanding of the text of what the author is trying to provide us. To complete a glossary, we are supposed to find an unfamiliar word from the most recent reading you were issued for class, find the definition of the word, state which sentence was the word included and explain what you believe the sentence means after knowing what the definition is. As mentioned earlier, I believe the assignment was very effective in enhancing my vocabulary, now I can use the new words and effectively use them in future essays, readings, or in everyday speech. Especially when we’re in college, getting closer and closer to the real world, strengthening our vocabulary is a very important thing to keep at.