Workplace Culture During COVID

Pre pandemic I was looking forward to taking an internship either in the city or in a different neighborhood than my own, I was excited to learn new things, explore, network, but now because of COVID-19 and the pandemic, everything is remote including my internship. I was glad that both school and now work would be remote as I was afraid I could contract COVID and put my family at risk. This has been a silver lining for me throughout this past year.

Since I am working from home my routine hasn’t really changed. My time spent commuting to the city is no longer an obstacle, I can’t be late to work because I can just log on to the Zoom meeting or work independently as long as I get the work done before the due date. Since everyone is working remotely, there is little room to socialize. The design team meets up weekly with our boss and the assistant manager on Monday nights. Here we express niceties, can discuss our respective projects, and anything we need to work on. 

Socialization looks different now, we are using Slack to share links, updates, and quick information. Over email, we share files, final designs, and important information. We of course use Zoom to communicate weekly. I’m sure if we were working in person there would be more opportunity to network, spend time together, work in in-person events, and the dress attire would be more than whatever you are comfortable in while in your house.