BHS: Part II

My second visit to the Brooklyn Historic Society (B.H.S.), was a different from my first visit. Before we went up to the library, the entire class and the librarians went outside and has a discussion about the exterior architecture  of the building. I looked up and realized that the building had faces around it. The faces were of men from history, such as William Shakespeare and Christopher Columbus. We went up to the library, followed the procures again and took a seat. I sat at a different table and again we was separated into three groups.

The librarians gave us information about the Brooklyn Theater fire of 1876. The group I sat with look at atlas with Prof. Gold. We tried to find exactly where the Brooklyn Theater was located. We looked at a map of Downtown Brooklyn in 1874 and then another one of Downtown Brooklyn in 1877. To compare the before and after the fire. In the first map, I notice that on Washington Street there was a railroad going up and down the street. Then we got the address to the theater and we found that the Brooklyn Theater was located on Washington street, between Johnson street and Myrtle Ave. Then the group questioned that, “how could the fire department could get to the fire?” and “how were they notified that there was a fire?”

This entry was posted in Student Post. Bookmark the permalink.