Fall 2015: Reflection

1.  Project Management 
Besides a few mini projects, I mainly worked with Dr. Julian Williams (program director of the Liberal Arts and Sciences) to design a brand identity for the program’s students. We had an initial meeting to discuss this brand new project that has never been done before. Then, I established the deliverables of the project, made drafts, and did numerous edits to perfect the content and user experience. Now it is being presented to student leaders, at the Honors Scholars Poster Presentation, and to the GenEd committee. This project is in its beginning stages and will continue on to the next semester (Spring 2016).
Because I had to manage many elements/parts and different disciplines in this project, I believe that it improved my project management skills.

2. Design Skills/Techniques 
A. When I started designing mock ups for the web application, I was planning to use Adobe Illustrator, which was very difficult and was not designed for that purpose. Kevin (FC webmaster) advised me on using the program Sketch. I learned the ins and outs of Sketch in no time, and it has made web design much more easier. This program is definitely something I could take away with me when I graduate and work in the industry.
B. I’ve learned Sketch this semester and I am putting it to use in my projects for portfolio class. Also I practiced making presentations, and used the same template to present my other classes’ projects.

3. Work Relationships 
Explain how you communicate and build relationships with the following:
A. Design Team
The design team is here to always support each other. When William needed to put the Honors Scholars Poster Presentation brochure to print, the team (me, Kevin and Professor Jordan) helped to proofread, edit and properly export files for print. As we go through the process, we constantly communicate via text message/email to make sure everyone involved is in the loop and know what’s going on. I am sure if I ever need a favor, any team member would not hesitate to assist me.
B. Clients
Professor Williams and I worked closely together for the Liberal Arts branding project to happen, whether it’s via text, email or in-person. I just made buttons with the logo on it, and decided to surprise him by putting it in his mailbox without telling him what it is. It never hurts to give your clients a little surprise now and then, or say thank you when you appreciate something they’ve done for you.
C. Coworkers in other FC offices (Grants office, AIR, etc.)
Ms. Burke needed something designed the same day for the Holiday Breakfast recently and it was time sensitive. She reached out and I put my current work aside and quickly made some designs to send to print. Whenever possible, I try to help the other offices with technical/design work.

One thought on “Fall 2015: Reflection

1. Mandy,
    You have a very strong sense of what it means to be a team player.
    And you have inspired your colleagues, and by modeling your behavior,
    they feel comfortable to ask each other for assistance. That has been the expectation of Faculty Commons Design team from conception. You have met and exceeded that expectation.

You are also willing and open to learning new techniques. Most importantly you take and make the time to learn new software applications and test them out to understand their uses and limitations.

I appreciate your conscious understanding of increasing your organizational skills with a project that is multi-level and has the potential of impacting the way the college provides advisement guidance to both students and faculty and staff. Working with team members on particular aspects of the work, and managing them effectively will be increasingly important skill to develop. Meeting with stakeholders and listening carefully to feedback, then responding to that feedback in a timely manner— these are critical elements of developing deliverables that will be well used and valued. Keep on that track in Spring.

The entrepreneurial aspects of design are in listening, observing, acting in a timely way in response to your clients’ needs, solving their design problem within budget, and on time and in original, ethical ways.

I appreciate your thoughtful reflection of this term’s work as part of the Design Team, how you wove this experience into your work schedule and managed a very demanding semester of coursework in your major.