Fall 2015 Reflection

1.  Project Management 
I believe the best example to use to describe my experience with project management is the Honors Scholars Poster Presentation Brochure I worked on. Before meeting with the client, Prof. Liou-Mark, I created some concept designs to use on the cover. From the meeting the client and I established a timeline for this project. The timeline began with receiving the content on November 18. On November 20 all the content would be inputted and proofread. On November 23 revisions would be made with final proofread. November 24 the files would be sent down to the repo center. After our initial meeting a concept was decided on and then I created a couple different color variations on the chosen design. Once a color palette was chosen I began to send sample pages of the brochure using hierarchy.
2. Design Skills/Techniques 

The biggest challenge I faced, was incorporating the content for the Honors Scholars Brochure. It was crucial to have the document set up in a multiple of four pages because of the printing process. Thankfully Mandy was able to help me space out the content in the most effective manner.

3. Work Relationships 
Explain how you communicate and build relationships with the following:
A. Design Team
Since it is my first semester working on the Faculty Commons Design Team I had the role of getting to know everyone. I soon figured out my work relationships with the team. I would email or converse with Maen or Kevin about anything pertaining to the web, such as saving the files as the proper extension or sending the files to be put on the website. I would seek guidance and mentoring from Mandy and Raciel concerning design jobs. I would also seek help from the rest of the team with spelling and grammatical errors.
B. Clients
Being an intern on the Faculty Commons Design Team was the first time I’ve had to develop professional client relationships. I was able to learn the proper ways of contacting and communicating with clients during my training in the summer. I had the opportunity to work with the Library and the Honors Scholars Program this semester. I designed several posters for the library and created a brochure for the Honors Scholars Program. I would create a concept and then present it to the client. Once a concept was chosen I would create a draft and email a copy to the client. If there was any revisions that needed to be made I would send the file back to the client with the revisions before sending it down to print.
C. Coworkers in other FC offices (Grants office, AIR, etc.)
I haven’t had the chance to work alongside other coworkers in the other FC Offices. Although I try to help whenever I can when it comes to setting up the office for meetings and other events.

One thought on “Fall 2015 Reflection

1. William,
    I truly appreciate the thought that has gone into your reflection. From my vantage point it is an accurate progression of your work experience. That you can articulate your growth over the term is critical to your future success.

I have been particularly impressed with the cordial, professional email correspondence with your clients. It is clear that you have worked well in establishing and deepening your relationship with your clients. And the level of design matches—even exceeds their expectations.

I look forward to your developing and welcoming new members to the Design Team. And helping them become valued participants in the design process. Sharing your critique will help you sharpen your design concepts as well as theirs.