5 thoughts on “Stephanie Dirani- Essay 1”

1. Hey Stephanie, This was an outstanding reading. I loved the sci-fi aspect of the first story and how you still kept the main story points throughout the story even though they really different. what I learned from this is that no matter how rich or poor you are there’s always something of unbelievable value in your household no matter what it is. Your essay is also very well organized and I cant see to find any errors in it, it looks like you took a long time going over it and it shows even though it is the first draft. I just want to say thank you for all your feedback and for being so helpful to all of us in the class.

2. Hello Stephanie.

I really enjoyed reading your essay. I Like how you wrote your essay from a point of view of “a daughter of a rich CEO”. I like the way you inserted a couple of questions in your essay” What about a rich person? Can a robbery impact them in the same way?” What I have learned is that this is a nice way of making a reader pause for a minute and think. Great work.

3. Thank you Starlyn and Indeevari! I’m glad you enjoyed it, that was my goal. And Starlyn, it’s my pleasure to help! What else is there to do with knowledge other than to share it with others.

4. Stephanie,

This is magnificent creative work you’ve produced—ready the query letter!

A bunch of small-to-big things:

–Have you read ETA Hoffman’s “The Sandman” ? The explosion that destroys the father in your first re-written version of “The Money” reminds me of this old, spooky, proto-sci-fi story. If you haven’t read it, you might like it

On p. 2, where are we in time when you write: “I asked my mother where her keycard was, and sure enough, it wasn’t in her bag where she put it.” ? Can we make the timing of this moment clearer somehow—i.e., before or after the vacation?

Further down p. 2: I would go to his house in the means of making amends and sharing this “little fact” that we finally have a cure that may help my father and his wife and that we wanted to share it. I’d gauge his reaction and then proceed.
    –can be reworded to: I would go to his house with the apparent intent of making amends
.
    –perhaps break the rest of the sentence into another sentence? (the “ands” begin to pile up
and unless it’s a sort of “wordy” style you’re going for—in which case the rest of the story should also be comparably wordy—then I’d find a way to avoid this quandary
)

“I would make two of my famous tiramisu ahead of time. Only one has a little something extra.”
    –Stick with the conditional mode in sentence 2: Only one WOULD HAVE a little something extra tucked into it
” 😉

–In this paragraph, when you cut from planning to enacting the plan (baking the cake), make a new paragraph to signal this shift from plan to action.

–At the end of this version of the story, I’m missing the narrator’s hesitation to return to his mother her rightful property. Is there a way to include this part of the original story (which I have been emphasizing as part of what makes “The Money” unique?)

–In “The Theft” again watch out for paragraphing: you want to make a new paragraph whenever you shift modes (from hypothetical to actual) or episodes (from hanging out at Junot’s to the walk home, talking with your brother—this is where I’d definitely put a paragraph break in the opening section of this story).

–Again, is there a way of signaling Junot’s hesitation to return the funds to his mother in “The Theft”? I realize this is tricky, given the POV from which you are writing
 but perhaps not impossible

–Lastly, my BIG PICTURE thought on both of your re-writes centers on the question of style/voice: there are times when both of these versions seem to “sound” similar in terms of word choice, punctuation (exclamations!), etc. Is there a way of going back over both of these and making the narrator of “The Machine” sound a bit more
 nerdy? Technophilic? Formal
perhaps to the point of rigidity? Is there a way to make the thief sound
 more criminal? More like a “bad guy”? Or
more vulnerable/desperate (if you want to complicate him in that way)? On the whole, I just want to challenge you to try to vary the styles in these two re-writes a good deal more
 And this may in turn lead you to reflect further/differently in your conclusion on the effects of style

5. Thank you for the feedback Professor! I’m looking forward to the challenges with rewriting it! And I gotta be honest, I had to look up what a query letter is. Do you think it could really go that far? Thanks again!