Emily Mendieta – Listening logs – week 1 to week 5

Song: Sky walker

Artist: Miguel featuring Travis Scott

1. 3 phrases that strike me were:

“I’m Luke skywalkin’ on these haters”

“Good thing come up those that wait up but don’t wait too long to jump in”

“Celebrate everyday like its your birthday”

The song strike me in those 3 phrase because I see it as you have to be above  from your haters since it’s your life and your choices people shouldn’t be making opinions on what you do and don’t do, also I also believe that when thing are for you its meant to be no matter how long it takes to happen but when it comes your way don’t hesitate to make it happen. lastly you should live up your life with no worries and give time to have fun like it says in the song “celebrate everyday like its your birthday”.

2). Repetition I noticed:

” Don’t sleep you gotta stay up

Don’t sleep you gotta stay up”

3. 3 changes I noticed in the song were:

The sound, message, and relating other types of media. The sound of the song it stay in a one background sound through the beginning and the end of the song but as the song ends the sound shifts into a slow calm background sound but then comes back to the beginning sound for few seconds before ending, the message basically went from having to stay up above these haters because if you don’t it seems to them like you being bother by it that’s why you have to stay above or like in the song “skywalkin’ on these haters”, and lastly the relating other types of media it mentions Top gun and Tom cruise which to me its a good way to mention the actor but also one his number 1 movies he has ever made.

4 thoughts on “Emily Mendieta – Listening logs – week 1 to week 5”

1. Listening Log 2 – Week #2

Song: Girl need love (remix)

Artist: Summer Walker & Drake

3 Repetitions I noticed:

“Girls can’t never say they need it”

“I jus need some love”

“Girls can’t never say how”

3 Changes I noticed:

a. The song starts slowly in the beginning as much if it was a like very romantic and then shifts to a normal phase once the male artist start to sing as if you he was having a conversation

b. That in some parts of the song there is a drums sound in the background which gives the part of the lyric it goes on more impact to the lister

c. The part of the male artist singing there is no background sound that it was from the whole song all you could here its the drums higher than what it was used before

3 Phrases that strike me:

“Honestly, I’ve got to stay focus you must think I’ve got to be jokin”

“Please don’t get in your feelings”

“You just need some love with no complications”

This song its overall trying to say that females need love, that there is not time to be wasting now after being played all the time but its hard for females to say how much they want to be loved since most of the time men aren’t serious. Also on the male part is trying to say that men are willing to give that love and affection but then females go and chose the wrong person and that’s where they end up getting hurt. Overall this song it’s a true example of different interpretation from a female and male perspective about love and about one another.

2. Listening blog 3 – Week #3

Song: You & I

Artist: John Legend

3 Phrases that strike me the most:

“All of the starts you make them shine like if they were ours”

“All of these starts don’t shine brighter than you are”

“You keep wondering’ if you’re what I’m wantin’ ”

These Phrases strike me the most because the song behind story is about this guy singing his heart out to a girl he loves a lot and writes this lyrics in from to show her how much she means to him and that there won’t be no one else but her to make him happy as he already is when he is with her.

3 Repetition I noticed:

“You my one and only girl”

“You and I”

“Oh, you don’t have to try”

2 Changes I noticed:

In this song I noticed the change of instruments that goes from the beginning towards the end changes. In the beginning it starts with the a slow piano and the singing from the artist I sound more like an acapella it makes you think if you was in a concert but then it builds up more which more instruments are used such as drums in the chorus and the guitar as well which it makes it sound more high quality.

3. Listening Log 4 – Week 4

Artist: Bruno Mars

3 Repetition I noticed: 
    “Should’ve gave you all my hours when I had the chance”

“Now my baby is dancing but she’s dancing with another man”

“Too young, too dumb to realize”

3 changes I noticed:
    a. The first change I noticed in this song how it shifts from starting slow in the beginning to a faster pace of the artist singing.

b. The second change was during the chorus you could hear the artist change the tone of his singing because before the chorus he sounds more clam but when the chorus part he seems to raise his voice to project what is he singing.

c. The last change I notice was on the lyric because the artist starts singing about the thing he did wrong but in the end, he redeems himself to accept the fact that someone else would do what he didn’t.

3 Phrases that strike me:
    “My pride, my ego, my needs, and my selfish ways”

“And that haunts me every time I close my eyes”

“oh, I know I’m probably too much late to try and apologize for my mistakes”

The phrases strike me the most because in a way I could relate personally about what the artist is trying to say about his pride and ego that got on his way of showing affection to your significant other, also is hard to forget what you have done based on he says that it haunts you every time you close your eyes because you know where you did wrong and didn’t do anything to fix which also comes the last phrase on that if you wait too long those mistakes can’t ever be apologized.

4. Listening Log 5 – Week 5
    Song: TKN

Artist: Rosalia Feat Travis Scott

1. 3 Repetition I noticed:
    “Ni un amigo nuevo ni una heri’a” (Not even a new friend I would meet)

“TKN, TKN”

“No jodemos con personas desconoci’as” (We can’t associate with unknown people)

2. 3 changes I noticed:
    a. The first change of this song I notice the change in the background sound of how it start in the beginning more like an acapella and it quickly changed after the first repetition was more instruments were added.

b. The second change of this song its the suffix parts are added when Rosalia is singing and you hear Travis in the background and it goes vise versa.

c. The third change is the change it goes from Spanish to English which is what I was more amused by it since Travis is actually singing in Spanish rather than only English 

3. 3 Phrases that strike me:
    “Los Secreto’ solo con quien pueda’ confiar” (Secrets with only people I could trust)

“No more friend, don’t bring the hype here”

“Hay niveles para todo en esta vi’a” (There are levels for this life)

These words struck me the most because it’s talking about friends mainly since its true about only telling secrets to the people you trust because you wouldn’t want other people to know especially if it’s private. Also sometimes we don’t need more friends than the ones we have now it’s better to have small circles which I get from what it says don’t bring the hype here because friends are supposed to be there for you not wanting to gain hype from you. Lastly the term there are levels for this life I could much agree and it strike me the most because it’s true there are certain levels and challenges you have to go true to have what you want in life and also don’t rush it because everything will come on its own time.