Listening Log #1

Song I choose is “Welcome to the machine” by Pink Floyd

This song does not have lots of lyrics but does have some very power musical notes and the few lyrics it does have are moving. This song is all about interpretation.

Repeating lines

“Welcome, my son. Welcome to the machine. Where have you been? Its all right we know where you’ve been. Welcome, my son. Welcome to the machine. What did you dream? Its all right we told you what to dream.”

Two lines that stuck with me were

“And you didn’t like school. And you know you’re nobody’s fool”

These lines spoke to me for the deeply profound message the song is providing. They recently had lost their leader of the band, Syd Barret, not from passing but from a mental collapse. I relate to these lyrics because I don’t enjoy school and I don’t believe school makes or breaks you. So even without a formal education, you can be somebody great.

Three changes in the music

The song starts with an eerie noise almost as a spaceship is about to take off. Very strange noises

Then the lyrics come into play they add the acoustics of the guitar and still keep a bunch of those sci-fi noises

Towards the ending of the song the lyrics stop and the music intensifies to the very end. It sounds like someone is driving off to an event because you hear the roaring engine of the car and then chatter of the crowd then nothing

3 thoughts on “Listening Log #1”

1. Listening Log #2

Song: “Dior” Remix by Pop Smoke ft Gunna

3 phrases that strike me
    1:“Said I’m never lackin, always pistol packing with them automatics we gone send to em to heaven”

2:“When it rains it pours.”

3:“This baddie wanna pop a skittle. I’m tired of n****s telling riddles”

First phrase got to me because they got Pop Smoke they caught him lackin or in proper english they had broken into his new house and shot him dead. There are some very hateful people in the world. Pop Smoke was an upcoming artist who was my age (20) and died.

Second phrase when it rains it pours. Very simple but also very truthful. The hard times will always come around and it will hit you hard. Weather the storm.

Third phrase, a very good looking young lady wants to do illegal substances, basically just live while you’re young. Enjoy life responsibly :). Second part People are always speaking in code. When it should be, all of us sharing knowledge and collectively try to become better together.

3 repetitions
    “Mike Amiri, Mike Amiri. Billie Jean Billie Jean, Christian Dior, Dior. Im up in all the stores. When it rains, it pours. She like the way I RRR”

“When I walk in the spot, 30 on me. Buy out the club, N****s know that I’m paid. B***h, I’m a thot, Get me lit”

“She like the way that I dance. She like the way that I move. She like the way that I rock. She like the way that wooo”

changes in the music

The song pretty much stays the same through the whole way through. Towards the end the beat dies down and in the very beginning starts of slow but jumps straight into with a loud base type of beats. The alternates slightly throughout the to represent some sort of change in the lyrics. This song when you vibe with it makes you want to dance.

2. Listening Log #3

“Leader of the Delinquents” by Kid Cudi

Repeating lines:
    “The leader of the delinquents, delinquents. The leader of the delinquents, delinquents. The leader of the delinquents, delinquents.”

Lyrics that stood out to me :

“Broke up with this girl, she was trippin’ Couldn’t understand my life in the world, I can’t be stressin’ ’bout it”

Cudi shows how relatable he is in most of his music, that’s why I believe so many people are drawn to him. Certainly why I love him as an artist. This lyric shows how a significant other can be stressing you for the way you live and we can’t stress life only. Keep it pushing with the least amount of stress

“Now let me set the groove with some cello From the outside lookin’ in, shit is mellow. But sometimes I wanted to shoot my fuckin’ face off I’m talkin’ game over, defeated the boss. Hope with age, I can cope with my rage. I’m so damn passionate, there’s no safe plane”

Here Cudi talks about depression and him wanting to commit suicide, but not giving into this urge. Mental health issues should be more openly talked about in a society where the men are mainly just supposed to suck it up and just “deal with it”.

Changes in the music

The beat goes from Kid Cudi using drums and sci-fi noises, stays at a nice base and switches from the music and beats to him humming which has proven to save lives.

3. Listening Log #4

Good morning by Kanye West

Repeating lines:
    “Good mornin’ Good mornin’ Good mornin’ Good mornin’”

“Get on down Get, get on down Get on down Get, get on down”

Changes in the music:
    The tempo starts slow, and speeds up a few seconds later adding a chorus of people singing “ouuuu, ouuu” whenever Kanye says “good morning” and the tempo goes back to this constant beat with guitar and bunch of other instruments and another artist hops on the track. Towards the end the keep the same beat but add an eerie effect to the music.

Lyrics that stood out:
    “From the moments of pain. Look how far we done came. Haters sayin’ ya changed. Now ya doin’ ya thing.”

Kanye West is talking about the struggles one goes through, and to look how much you’ve accomplished already and how much you’ve been through. How people around you or people who don’t even know you will say you’re different. When you’re really just focusing on yourself now.

“Good morning, look at the valedictorian. Scared of the future while I hop in the delorean. Scared to face the world, complacent career student. Some people graduate, but be still stupid.”

Valedictorian being scared of the future sounds like an odd sentence but Kanye West was just expressing how school doesn’t make you into an outstanding citizen ready to conquer. It could very well lead to your demise by staying stuck in place and you only being happy with your college degrees.