A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Amy Tan, “Mother Tongue”

Amy Tan (pictured with her family in 1959)

For Thursday, September 19, please read Mother Tongue by Amy Tan.

Isabella will be our discussion leader. If you have not yet posted a comment on our site this week, please be sure to respond to this post.

1. Zackary

In this poem I noticed the similarities between this poem and Unit 1 theme. As we are talking about language impactment on society and our personal lives. Which the poem also shows with the author describing her experiences with dealing with language barriers and the different “Englishes” that she uses in her daily life which is a good idea for our language narrative project.

2. Nina

Right off the bat, I noticed that I had read this before in one of my English classes from high school. One thing that surprises me, however, is that I will always continue to read the entire essay; no matter how many times I am told to do so. Something about how Amy uses dialogue and real scenarios between her and her mother to further explain the use of their imperfectly perfect English stands out to me. In general, this is such a great read and compared to some of the others, this is one of my favorites.

3. Danny877

This story also speaks on limitations of English, very similar to previous reads we had. Even quoting accents and phrasing along the way. I found this read really went in on experiences and even discussed interactions the mother had. I could feel the words through the texts.

4. Sofia B

I truly enjoyed this reading because it was simple but powerful. I truly like how it can be relevant to all readers. The message is incredibly beautiful and well written.