A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

José Olivarez, “Maybe I Could Save Myself By Writing”

For Thursday, September 12, please read José Olivarez’s essay “Maybe I Could Save Myself By Writing” and leave a brief comment below. Brad and Kenneth will serve as discussion leaders.

1. Nina

I found this essay pretty simple to understand, but his experience with feeling like he doesn’t belong is not exclusive. I strongly believe that many will live through a phase in their life where they feel as if they do not belong. In general, this essay was an excellent read in terms of seeing how José Olivarez specifically coped through this phase with poetry.

2. Danny877

Trying to fit in and deal with the atmosphere of the public school seems to be the main plot for this short story. Using poems as a way to help younger people confront questions he had as a young teen through his writing. Wanting to read and write to help cope/make sense of questions he had and study works of other authors to understand his background more.

3. Zackary

The essay I found to be an easy and light read. What I found most interesting is the word play, for example the author use of word plays for the different paragraph’s titles are humorous and entertaining. Lastly, the topic of the essay is very relatable for others to connect to especially towards young adults.