Career Exploration Goals By: Vaswanie Cover

Once you have a career goal in mind, you can either go with that idea when you get older or you can explore various career goals. My name is Vaswanie cover and, I aspire to be a computer technician in the future. This field consists of working with Computer Software and Hardware, wiring of computer systems, and repair of the internal and external parts of laptops, and desktops. The department according to the NYCCT is Computer Systems Technology and, this field lies in the AAS major (College Catalog 222). I will discuss what this major involve/what it is, my reasons for picking this major and, also why it is a great choice as a major for me.

Along with the evolution of computer systems, the technicians also have to evolve and adapt to technological advancements. Technicians from big global companies like IO Cablevision and Verizon FiOS are trained to work with the equipmentā€™s the companies have. I want to be a certified computer technician because I am intrigued by the complexity of all types of modern computers. Ā I firmly believe I am fit for this because, I am still young and am opens to learn and embody all the new technological advancements.

When Computer Systems Technology comes to mind, what do you think about? Many people think that computer systems technology is only all about computers but, there are actually various aspects of the field. When working with computer, you donā€™t tend to think of what makes up the computer externally involving hardware only but, also what makes it up internally. In reality, a good percentage of the worldā€™s population has access to a computer or even their own personal computer. Almost all technological device used today need software to be operated. Without a ā€œlinkā€ or an icon to click on a computer, what are you really doing? Computer Systems Technology relates to this topic because, to work on a computer you need the proper software to do whatever task you need to accomplish. For example, if you are required to do a 5 page essay which is due on the same day but don’t have a laptop, you can now download Microsoft word on your tablet or phone then, print through a Bluetooth

Information Technology (IT) is not only used when involving software but, it is also an application of computers etc. that store, retrieve, transmit and manipulate data. Computers are not the only source of all these functions but, many other technological devices. In this specific category televisions and smartphones can also do these functions. As long as the device can do more than one function and has a specific task then it could be counted as one. Regular cell phones and smartphones differ because a smart phone has applications. These applications vary from apps for location, texting, gaming, and many more ideas. The applications are made through special programs technicians use to build from the core up. The resource used to make up applications are called languages (Technical Term). Building apps and software for computer techs is not always easy. To build, the creators need to be creative. It is not always easy to come up with an idea the audience will like. According to the Academic Search complete, John C. Dvorak mentioned that, ā€œNothing mentioned is really new, let alone innovativeā€ (Dvorak 185). He was referring to the new windows 10 compared to windows 8.1 lack of creativity. In many cases these creators have to do extensive research and study groups to ensure the success of their product and the ability to withstand competition.

Another reason for my choice of Computer Systems Technology is because of my extreme passion to work with computers. Just using a system makes anyone who is not as experienced want to examine its functions and various tasks it can do. Most of my life revolves around using a computer system to get to where Iā€™m going. When I go to school in the mornings, I have to swipe my ID over a laser you hover over for entry. The laser is connected to a computer system to do that one task. Simply swiping my card alone is intriguing which brings me to my next point. To study how computers work and how I can manipulate it in my favor is drive and influence enough make something out of my young career.

According to the City Tech College Catalog, my course work will prepare me for, ā€œApplying and evaluating technological solutions to solve real real-world problems, basic problem solving using various fundamental algorithms, understanding of various IT operations etc., managing and troubleshooting a computer information system, and understanding the current business practices in computer systems technologyā€.(College Catalog 222) Ā All of these Student Learning Outcomes will highly benefit me because; my main goal is to manage a business that involves computers. One type of business that utilize computers a lot is a Sports Stadium, the computers are used to keep track of scores. To obtain this degree, I must obtain roughly 60 credits which consist of electives and, liberal arts/ science credits. I also picked this major because, I desire financial stability. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, ā€œI would make an estimate of $23.51 per hour and $48,900 per year being a Computer Support Specialist.ā€ (United States, Computer Support Specialist, pay chart.) The first step towards becoming a computer specialist is to obtain my associate degree. This will provide me with numerous entry level positions while I work on my Bachelorā€™s degree after which my earnings will increase.

I firmly believe in working at my own pace because I donā€™t want to rush through the months and end up soaking up no knowledge for my major as a result of burnout. One thing to keep in mind is the major you complete might not be the one you want to do due to different interest that may arise in the future. On the other hand, I feel like that wouldnā€™t be a problem for me. The City Tech College Catalog tells us that, ā€œThis is the only comprehensive curriculum in CUNY that addresses the specific needs of the Information Technology industry by integrating theory, hands-on experience through a required internship degree program componentā€ (College Catalog 224). Who wouldnā€™t want a career that gives the chance of touching objects? Hands-on is one of the best ways of learning. This program also offers internship programs to groom you before being thrown own in the mean work world.

Computer Technicians is one of the best fields to invest in if you aspire to work with computers. If you decide to pick this major, you need to keep in mind that you have to have the specific college ready certifications/credits. The experience that comes with being a computer technician is beneficial if you want to start a business for example. The major consist of software and hardware, and working on physical aspects of the systems, young technicians are equip with the knowledge of computer functions both internally and externally before they start working with computer systems. I my dream is to become a Computer Support Specialist because I want to work with computers and one day own a business. The degree and major do require a bit more credits than other majors but the work put in is worth it. Progression to become a computer technician is a way I would like to grasp my achievements in becoming knowledgeable and successful.

Work Cited

New York City College of Technology- College-Catalog Ā 2015-2016 (City Tech). New York: Ā New York City College of Technology, 2015 PDF.Ā Ā 

United States. Department of Labor. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Computer Support Specialist”. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Washington: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Wednesday, January 8, 2014.

Dvorak, John. “Last Work: windows 10, Look 3.” PC Magazine (July 2015): 183-185. Academic Search Complete. Web. 25 Oct. 2015