The Drawing Experience

Cisco Alers
9-13-15
Project 1
My name is Cisco I am around five feet and five inches, I have green eyes, a Mohawk, I like playing handball, going for runs in those cool, but also warm mornings, and swimming in warm water. I also enjoy ice cream especially chocolate chip ice cream. Some of the favorite things I like to do are playing with legos, playing video games, and spending time with friends, family and loved ones. In addition to those interests drawing is the most important part of my life. It allows me to be the most creative and imaginative I can be. Some pivotal points of my drawing experience are the time when I used to play with my Legos, video games, my time with my parents, my best friend, showers and exercising.
When I was younger I used to come home from school everyday and quickly finish my homework. I did this because there was a certain time of day which the sun would hit my room creating a small warm spot to sit on the floor and play with my legos. Doing this allowed me to be able to find a comfortable spot and be able to think creatively even if there was loud music or a lot going on around in my home. You could say that they were the building blocks of my imagination, no pun intended.
Video games are exciting, saddening, difficult, and they can change the way you think about life, its kind of like a book and a movie in one. One thing I can say about video games is that I would never have been the creative person I am today with out it. Back when I was around 6 was when played my first video game and that was Mario. Mario was the first video game character I drew. After that I started seeing new characters and faces as well as backgrounds with different designs and it helped me have new ideas for drawings. It helped me be more of a creative person then I already was.
There was a time when I had a little desk that my parents bout me back when I was in elementary school. It was an art desk for little kids who were starting to learn how to draw accurately or put the right lines at the right length in the right place. One day during the week end I had woken up early I couldn’t go back to sleep so I decided to sit at the desk and start drawing. My father woke up for work and saw that I was struggling with a picture of a lion. He started helping me and told me to try my best and stay focused on the picture while you draw. Those words coming from him is what motivated me to draw and be creative throughout the years.
A very good friend of mine, an old friend, some how in away knows when I’m feeling down or just not into it during the day. He’d always find a way to bring my day up. There are people who get what’s called writers block. Well artist get the block as well, they get to the point where they draw or create things so much that they cant really think of what else to create and could probably end their job as an artist. I have experienced the block first hand a few times in my life. My friend is one of the few things that help me with that no in person, but in my mind. We’ve been friends since childhood which I guess is why he would always help me in a time of need. When I would get my artist block I’d get a little frustrated then go lay down and think about a time when me and my friend would sit at a lunch table and just joke around till class started and then eventually I would fall to sleep and some how wake up with a new idea. This is one of the reasons why I keep my creative side with me and use it in the best way that I can.
Another way that I deal with my lack of creativity is I don’t even think about it, stop for a few hours and go take a really, really long shower some close to about two hours. That is where I get most of my crazy awesome ideas. For example, there was a time when I was thinking of a way to pant my room. I was thinking about it for days and I couldn’t think of the right way to have the room either light colors or cool colors, do I want to be calm or energetic in my room and what design would I want it to be. There were so many concerns that I didn’t come up with an answer for days. Until I decided to go shower while thinking of a an Idea, about an hour later my mind went on autopilot and it said why not mix the colors with an abstract design and I loved the idea so that’s exactly what I did. Now when ever I want to feel energized or calm, I pick a color to look at and it effects the energy I feel through out my body.
The most important way I deal with artist block is probably the one that involves the most work, but is the most helpful out of all of them. This is when I go for a run or do any type of exercise that gets my heart pumping and blood rushing. The reason why I say that it’s the most important is because it gives me my most creative ideas, ideas that not only help me draw but also help me create different ways to motivate me to draw more and more. With running I came up with the idea of taking a shower to help me with my artist block. Later I asked about to a teacher on it and found that it was proven to help as well as sleeping and exercising. This is due to the fact that these three actions increase the dopamine levels that are in the brain, giving us the ability to think critically and that it also distracts our conscious so that our subconscious can work.
These pivotal points in my life are the reason why I am a drawer today and why I have such a creative mind. In the future I don’t want to draw as a job because I feel as if I need to work for me to draw I wont be as motivated as I am now. So I will keep it as a hobby because I enjoy drawing just to draw for the fun of it. I will use my creative mind in the future as a mechanical engineer to better change the world and create an energy source that is helpful to the environment and the people in it. I will also find ways to make things look more fun in this world. For example, there was a time when I was waiting for a train and I saw the train designed with watches, it may have just been a picture, but it still brightened my day. Everyday I think of new things and ideas, as well as new things to create and I am going to be as creative as I can be.