Exploring City Tech’s Computer Engineering at City Tech and a career in Electrical Engineering by Norman Levy.

My name is Norman Levy and I am currently a student at New York City College of Technology (City Tech) studying Computer Engineering. This is the best career path for me because there are job opportunities available due to the fact that technology is always changing. There are options available for me to further my education and also the salary, which are the benefits that will support my lifestyle and family. In this essay, I will discuss the background and context of Computer Engineering, support my argument with three paragraphs of supporting evidence, describe how to prepare for this career and finally list my sources of evidence.

Vorhees hall the technology building

Vorhees Hall (Technology Building)

This paragraph is about the general research that i conducted about my major and career choice. Electrical Engineering is a good career choice for me because there are always job opportunities available, this is due to the fact that technology is always changing. City Tech Course Catalog 2014-2015 states that, “Manufacturers and users of computers and electromechanical equipment are potential employers of graduates. Among the employers of the graduates of this program are IBM, Verizon, Con Edison, Canon, Eastman Kodak, The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Xerox Corp, and the Elevator Industry” (City Tech 230). I learned a lot of things in this major. The requirements to be in it is to have an Associates Degree in Electromechanical Technology which is also offered at City Tech. I learn how to build programs, measure resistance, current and voltage (which is really dangerous), and many more interesting course. I want to use the education that i received here to work well with co-workers in the future and also to know exactly what I’m doing at all times.

Electromechanical class

Electromechanical Class

I love my major very much and I will do my best to see this through to the end. There are a lot of job opportunities available in this career path. According the article Computer Engineers by, Moncarz, Roger states “There will always be an increasing need for computer engineers by many large industries, such as government agencies, manufacturers of computer related electronic equipment’s, and colleges and university”. There are wide varieties of jobs available for this major in which you can choose a job that focuses mainly on your strengths and succeed at that or choose a job that focuses  on your strengths and weaknesses, but having good communication skills in which you can work together to solve problems and in that process you will learn things you didn’t even know you could do.

There is always a chance or opportunity for me to further my knowledge in this major/field and also my position in the workplace. According to the article from the school library, Differences between the personal, social and emotional profiles of teaching and computer engineering professionals and students, states that “emotional intelligence and personality traits are important qualities that workers need in order to successfully exercise a profession”. In which the right attitude and drive to work and learn in the workforce you will pick up a few tips and tricks added to your knowledge that will aid you in either completing a job or to better your future in your career path which can lead to receiving a promotion or the possibility to further your education which can lead to a raise in your work status and pay.

Finally the fact of the salary. The benefits which are very appealing to me that will support my lifestyle and family. According to the article Computer Engineers by Moncarz, Roger, Computer Engineers states, “computer engineers with a bachelors degree have a higher starting salaries than do bachelor degree graduates in many other fields”. Electrical Engineer salary in the (US) most of them are men. In this career path you can earn an average salary of $70,000 a year. The pay is also determined by what education level you are and also the amount of experience you have in this field. How well you can work with others is also another fact that can determine your pay.

To prepare for my career path in this major i went to my adviser Prof. O. Kwon whom I respect very much as he’s been a huge help to me. I ask a lot of questions about things im not sure about and also to ask for tips and what did he do to to prepare himself back then for this career and asked for pointers. I also held group sessions with friends to discuss what new things we learned in class and share it with others and if we have any problems we help each other example, I had problems with soldering, which is the melting of a compound to connect wires to switches etc. I couldn’t hold my hands straight and could not get a clean job done but with help from my friends they showed me step by step and eventually I got it. In college it will not help to be antisocial, so a personal tip from me to all of you out there, make good friends in college, it will aid you greatly.

Learning electrical circuits

Prof. O. Kwon teaching Electrical Circuitry

Go down this career path for the love that you have for it. Six-figure salaries are achievable after many years of education, such as for lawyers, who require four years of law school after college, or for doctors, who have four years of medical schools, and three to eight years of residency. Computer engineers can start on the high-earning path with only a four-year bachelor’s degree for most entry-level positions. A master’s degree can increase pay by 16 percent, according to the 2011 degree salary survey by Georgetown University. Students also develop the useful skill of computer programming, since software knowledge is needed for engineers to get their computer hardware components to function. In addition, they can gain practical experience in school through internships or co-ops. Professionals in computer engineering will not want for jobs, with an expected average growth rate of 9 percent from 2010 to 2020, according to the statistics bureau. Though the outsourcing of computer manufacturing to foreign countries may affect employment, many companies are now contracting out their hardware designs. This provides opportunities for those working in computer consulting firms. From their present positions, hardware engineers who gain experience or show administrative acumen can become computer managers, who enjoy greater challenges, more responsibility, and higher pay. As of 2011, computer managers made an average $129,350 per year, or $62.29 per hour.

Works Cited

Kwon, Oh. Personal Interview. 5 Dec. 2014

Moncarz, Roger, “Computer Engineers” Web.3 Dec 2014

Pertegal-Felices, Maria L. “Differences between the personal, social and emotional profiles of teaching and computer engineering proffesionals and students”. Web. 3Dec 2014

United States, Bureau of Labor Statistics. Dept of Labor. 8 Jan 2014. Web. 30 Nov 2014

New York City College of Technology. (City Tech). Course Catalog 2013-2014.2014. PDF. 230. 30 Nov 2014

Kirschnoff, Peter B. “Engineers today”. New York Times. 30 Nov 2014. Web. 5 Dec 2014

Levy, Norman “Learning electrical circuits”. Flickr. 6 Dec 2014

Levy, Norman “Vorhees hall the technology building”. Flickr. 6 Dec 2014

Levy, Norman “Electromechanical class”. Flickr. 6 Dec 2014