William Wegman Dressed and Undressed exhibition

Nipa khan COMD 2330

Digital photography 10/11/17

Homework: William Wegman Dressed and Undressed exhibition.

William Wegman Dressed and Undressed the exhibition focuses on the dogs into many different characteristic and focus on what it means to be human. Willam wegman gave each dog a personality. The photos are 20X 24 Polaroid. The exhibition took place in sperune westwater, 257 Bowery New York 10002. The exhibition took place in two different floors of the gallery. There are different kinds of photos some describe humanistic, classic, abstract and some just create illusion. Each dog is different dog he had in the past and he start taken photos with Polaroid camera in 1979.

There were about 30 images both floor together and it was divided by different categories. The dogs are photographed by 20X24 Polaroid and each photos is taken differently. Some had contrast and some have sallow of depth and some has foreground and background. Each of the dogs were given very different personality. William wegman : Being human this exhibit is about giving the dog human characteristic and dressed up the dog in different outfit and some has human body part and some are just playing human role. Only feet and hand is the human body are replaced in the dog. I think being human is about the dog not about the human because the photo ” What to do ” shows the dog in human situation just to show how it feel to be human or to be in human condition.

I think this exhibit is also about transforming the dog various character to show emotion. Also it shows giving the dogs human condition or human characteristic makes the dog more like humanistic and each of the dogs has particular rule that fit them the best. One photograph that I love the most in the exhibit is “Garden”,2002. I love this photo because it shows shallow of depth. It shows contrast and exposure and this pic is foreground and background images and this image fill up the space and this image is a close up image. The depth of this image gets narrow. This picture also include natural frame and also this image have strong vertical line and this image has deep space. Overall this image just draw my attention right away. It create a strong connection with the audience.