HW1- Photo Description

Image: http://www.michaelkenna.net/gallery_images/6f1b1a0.jpg

“Brooklyn Bridge, Study 2” by Michael Kenna is the image that really stood out to me. I really love how the image was taken during the day but the black and white gives is that mood that it is night time; also with the lights from the building give me that night feeling. I really love how the buildings are getting smaller from left to right. I really like how the image has cluttered parts and some parts no so much;straight across the image where the buildings are at is very cluttered like most cities are.

To me, the feeling is weird because it gives me how the city is at night but the shot was taken during the day. The sun is clearly visible on the top left, but you can clearly see the lights from the buildings which you wont see as bright as they are in the picture during the day. The sun looks interesting as well because of the shape the light is making. I feel that Kenna is tricking the viewer with this.

Kenna uses figure to ground with the water taking up half of the shot and the top part being occupied with the bridge and buildings. He also uses diagonal lines and Leading Lines with the bridge. The contrasts with the lights are very impressive. You can clearly see all of the lights from the windows on the water. Also the water has a lot of dark spots and the bridge is casting a shadow right under it. I believe he also uses the rule of thirds. The bridge is in the middle of the image so the grid will align properly.

This entry was posted in HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to HW1- Photo Description

1. rmichals says:

My guess is that this photo is taken at night with a long exposure. the light is probably the moon. When the aperture is narrow, lights develop the rays which you can see here.

Certainly, leading lines and perspective are key to the success of this photo. I would also call it symmetrical. symmetrical and The Rule of Thirds are generally opposite. I would not say that this photo uses the Rule of Thirds.