Icon project tips

Some tips:

a) if you forget your flash drive, or for any other reason can’t copy to it, email it to yourself by uploading it to

WeTransfer.com

You have up to 2 gigs of free space for a week. This way you don’t clog up your email or drop box.

b) How to prepare your images for the “Icon Test”

• copy your polished version of your icon to a NEW DOCUMENT of the exact same size in either InD or AI

• Go to EXPORT

• Select .png. A dialog box will come up. Chose transparent or white background, depending on the shape of your icon. If the icon doesn’t look right once the icon is made, you can always go back and choose the other.

• Go to http://icoconvert.com. Cycle through and upload your .png. Chose the shapes you’d like to try, choose the sizes (make one the size of a phone icon, one the size of a YouTube icon, the others as you wish)

• Hit the button and then download them.

LOOK AT THE IMAGES

Do they translate well when they’re small, tiny?

If not, go back and modify them. Make lines wider; backgrounds lighter or darker; add tiny stroke lines of a color slightly lighter or darker around the objects in the illustration to accent them and try it again.

You’ll get it this time around, or….

TRY IT AGAIN.

Author: Anita Giraldo

Hi, I'm Professor Anita Giraldo. I teach and write courses in design, photography, design theory and creative project management in the Communication Design department at the New York City College of Technology. At City Tech, my signature project is the design, furnishing and implementation of The Pearl media study center, a $5M capital project funded by the New York State Department of Education and coordinated by the New York State City University of New York. Before coming to City Tech, I have worked as an installation artist, designer and fine art print maker. My work has been and continues to be exhibited nationally and internationally and has received funding on the city, state, national, international private level through grants, fellowships purchase princess and residencies. Before that I was the sole proprietor of my own commercial photography studio where I executed numerous national advertising campaigns for fashion and still life clients and consumer catalogs. Throughout the graphic arts industry I have been manufacturing director for international art magazines and production managed consumer magazines such as "Time Out New York,Art + Auction, Saveur and many others. All of these experiences began shortly after I finished art school with my first job as an illustrated book designer in the Studio Book division at Viking Press/Penguin Books.