The Perfect Resume and Cover Letter

Resume

VeneziaMoorer_Resume

VeneziaMoorer_CoverLetter-2

After the computer reads your resume, it’s passed on to HR. They read it and give it to your prospective boss/grant provider and he/she is going to look at your cover letter. 

That’s where they’re going to find out if you think coherently. You can pay someone to write your resume. It starts getting expensive for someone to write your cover letters and most don’t do that. 

So, once you see a job you like, POUR THE INFORMATION INTO THE COVER LETTER BELOW and BINGO!

You’re set, you’re fabulously articulate.

Here’s the script:

Dear Potential Boss: [Write Sir/Madam if you don’t have the name of someone specific. If you’re really diligent, you could call the company ahead and ask to whom you can address your cover letter to. The receptionist will tell you, even if in the same breath, they’ll tell you to upload your res to that damn computer service.]

This is in response to your posting for the Art Director (or whatever) [Write the title of the position] Assistant position at Havas Lineas. [Write the name of the Company] I carefully scanned all the requirements for the position and I believe I would be a good fit for your company. Please consider me for the position; I am interested.

[In this paragraph, write about the ONE thing that you learned or did that qualifies you for the job]

My experience with XYZ company during my internship at City Tech afforded me the opportunity to work at a high level of branding expertise.

In the Communication Design program where my expected graduation date is January 25, 2020, I have acquired an eye for detail and understanding of graphic communication. There, I learned to design materials that remain true to the brand identity and applied this knowledge to produce XXX. XXX   All of which you will see in my portfolio. [talk about one or two projects of which you are most proud].

I hope you get a chance to have a look and contact me with the opportunity to interview for the position. If you have any questions or would like to see additional materials, please do not hesitate.

I look forward to the next,

Diligent Creative Student about to graduate

or

Diligent Creative Student seeking an Internship.

Author: Anita Giraldo

Hi, I'm Professor Anita Giraldo. I teach and write courses in design, photography, design theory and creative project management in the Communication Design department at the New York City College of Technology. At City Tech, my signature project is the design, furnishing and implementation of The Pearl media study center, a $5M capital project funded by the New York State Department of Education and coordinated by the New York State City University of New York. Before coming to City Tech, I have worked as an installation artist, designer and fine art print maker. My work has been and continues to be exhibited nationally and internationally and has received funding on the city, state, national, international private level through grants, fellowships purchase princess and residencies. Before that I was the sole proprietor of my own commercial photography studio where I executed numerous national advertising campaigns for fashion and still life clients and consumer catalogs. Throughout the graphic arts industry I have been manufacturing director for international art magazines and production managed consumer magazines such as "Time Out New York,Art + Auction, Saveur and many others. All of these experiences began shortly after I finished art school with my first job as an illustrated book designer in the Studio Book division at Viking Press/Penguin Books.