Principles and practice of publication design. Analysis, research and design of the contemporary multi-page publication. Creative assignments leading to the design and production of a newspaper and magazine. Integration of design and production in the computer laboratory using software such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
For the successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Define and explain newspaper industry figures and organizations.
- Define and explain unique functions of news desks including designers/art directors.
- Define and explain the role of “special sections” in daily newspapers.
- Describe and analyze the contents and visual components of “special section” front pages.
- Design and produce five (5) different full size “special section” front pages, each consisting of a section logo, typography, grid and specified visual elements including photographs and illustrations.
- Define and explain the role of the magazine logo, cover, table of contents page, department pages, features well pages and end page.
- Design and produce a magazine consisting of logo, three (3) covers, table of content page, four (4) department pages, three (3) features articles double-spreads and one (1) end page utilize all specified typographic and visual components including text, photographs and illustrations.
The following syllabus presents the college approved course requirements, learning outcomes, suggested weekly course outline, etc. Your students should meet the defined learning outcomes and COMD Standards, but please adapt the weekly outline, project guidelines, and grading scheme, as needed.
- COMD 4611 Syllabus (google drive)
If available, a cloneable model course contains learning outcomes, suggested weekly topics and projects, video resources, quizzes, and more.
This course utilizes the following Open Educational Resources (OER), zero cost resources, and/or required textbook:
- New Dimensions in Graphic Design, Blackwell, Lewis and Brody, Rizzoli International Publications
Please review and share the following resources with your BFA students.
- COMD Student Advisement
- Grace Gallery – BFA Show Submissions
- COMD Student Clubs
- Ink Club
- Art & Design Club
- Moving Pixels club
- OpenLab Help
- Blackboard Support
- Tutoring Schedule
- Atrium Learning Center
- City Tech Library
- Student Counseling Center
- Center for Student Accessibility
- Financial Aid Office
- Academic Advising
- Student Life & Development
Print this page