Load In Lab

Analysis: Working on the load-in lab was a good refresher on what to do when working on a show, but with some extra steps. Usually for me I am a stage hand and focus on getting everything built and following plans. However, this lab gave me the opportunity to take up more of a leadership role, as I focused on gathering the right tools and hardware that is needed for completing the job. This is where my challenge had appeared, as I was making my hardware and tools a list, I understood what I wanted in my head. But was not able to translate it properly to the list. Which would lead to a confusion and items that I technically didn’t ask for. For example, writing down that we needed “clamps” we were given spring clamps. When I however needed “10’ c-clamps”. Luckily I was able to learn this while in school and not on a job site, even as it may seem like a small error. If not done properly can really be detrimental to a job. Leading to more hours and money being spent on trying to correct a wrong that I made. 

Application: In order for me to not make this same mistake again, I must be more thorough when it comes down to making a tools list. A good way for me to do this is by understanding what I would be using if I were to be setting the flats up, taking into account every little detail, from the size ladder I use, to the nut and bolt size I use to fasten the flats together. In addition, taking time and not rushing, as I may miss a few steps and forget some tools. I was able to prove this as after the lab had concluded, I was put in a similar leadership position at my job. Where I was tasked with getting the tools, and hardware needed to build a new desk. Using the previous steps mentioned, and remembering that precision is key. I was not only able to come up with a proper tools and hardware list, but even able to not be present for the purchase, and everything I had asked for was there.