Now that the Type Book is finished, we are ready to begin the next project. We will began this project in class, but here are the details so that you can make certain you stay on track.
- Your Chap Book project will be a 12-page booklet, including the cover.
- It can be autobiographical or on a topic of your choice that your interested in. Please have your topic cleared by me.
- All of the content will be your own. You will do the writing and the photos or illustrations or graphic elements. Any content you find elsewhere must be properly created, otherwise that would be copyright infringement.
- When you set up your pages in InDesign, the measurements are 5.5″x8.5″ (or 33picas x 51picas).
- You will determine the number of columns for your grid system.
- We will begin learning the anatomy of magazine pages, so you are expected to use these elements in your Chap Book design.
- When the design is complete, you will assemble the layout for printing, then staple down the center of the spine to create saddle-stitching.
- You may print in black and white to save money, but your design will be in color.
- After the print version, you will be taking your design and adding interactive elements (video, music, etc) and producing the Chap Book that can be viewed on tablets as well as web browsers.
The project is on a tight deadline and I will try to keep you on track as much as possible. It may at times seem like I am rushing you. The print version of this project should be complete by the time we have our spring break.
Due Monday, 4/11/16: You should be finished with your cover design even though you may not have any idea about your coverlines yet—they can come later. The important thing is to have the cover design be finished with the suggested revisions from the critique. You should also begin layout for your interior pages. This means over the weekend, set up your master pages, paragraph and character styles. If you need help with these things, make use of the videos that I have already posted on this site. This also means that you have already begun to collect the content for your project. In class on Monday we will continue to work on the interior pages.