The last major project of the semester is the magazine spread. During the last class, we learned about the anatomy of a magazine layout. Please download the handout if you didn’t get one in class.
Here is the assignment:
- Design a magazine article: 4 pages, 2 spreads; design the magazine cover
- The trim size is 8.5″x11
Choice A: snowboarding – the text and photos have been provided for you.
Choice B: a culinary topic. It can be an article about food(s), recipes or anything dealing with food or cooking. Get approval from instructor first. You will be responsible for providing the text and photos for the assignment.
Choice C: a topic of your own, but it must be approved by the instructor first. You will be responsible for providing the text and photos for the assignment.
- Requirements include use of grid, headers, subheads, dropcaps, indents, columns, page numbers, images, captions, margins, gutters.
This project will be done is phases. The first phase will be your brainstorming and research to determine your topic. You will then sketch ideas for a possible layout. After that we will do a style guide and begin the first draft layout.
Due Tuesday, Nov 27:
- Your topic and rough sketch ideas for your layout. Begin to collect your text and imagery if you will be doing your own topic. You would be ready to begin your style guide.
- Find two pages from a same publication. These must share a grid, but have different layouts.
- Bring in examples of 2 different magazine spreads. These must share a grid, but have different layouts
Here are a few links to information we looked at in class: