Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is oddly entertaining. ┬áThis book is interesting because it gives us an insight to a world that we do not live in. ┬áThis “utopia” to some may be a “distopia” to others. ┬áTo me, this world is a distopia. ┬áThe world that these characters live in is messed up. ┬áWe no longer create beings through intercourse, but now we create beings in labs. ┬áI call these things beings because they cannot be considered human in my eyes. ┬áThis new way of development called Bokanovskifying creates beings by the multiple. ┬áNot just one or two beings, but thousands of identical beings categorized by classes (using Greek terminology, which to me is weird because the narrator points out the fact that many languages such as French, German, and Polish are instinct.) ┬áWhen reading about this Bokanovski group of beings, I asked myself, what is wrong with diversity? ┬áIs there any diversity in this world that these characters live in? ┬áThe narrator points out the fact that there are multiple races (African American for example.) ┬áSo what is this issue of diversity if technically diversity exists in this world?

While reading Brave New World, I can make a text to text comparison.  This book reminds me of The Hunger Games in multiple ways.  These books are similar in the fact that in both stories, people are divided by class.  In Brave New World, the people are divided using Greek terminology such as Alpha, Betas, and Gammas, while in The Hunger Games, the people are divided into districts.  Another comparison can be the fact that there is one group of individuals ruling the people of the world.  In Brave New World, this individual is the DHC, while in The Hunger Games, this leading individual is President Snow.  These leaders are even similar in the fact that they dress in their white suits.

While reading Brave New World, I also made the connection of these generated beings to the Aryan race. ┬áTo me, it seems like the DHC is creating a group of alike individuals who have “no flaws.” ┬áThe beings that are being created are conditioned to the liking of the DHC. ┬áIn chapter 2, the Delta babies (all dressed in Khaki) were conditioned to form a fear of books and flowers. ┬áThe narrator states “you can’t have lower-caste people wasting the Community’s time over books.” ┬áAlso, the narrator states ” a love of nature keeps no factories busy.” ┬áToday, people are conditioned to read books and educate themselves and to go outdoors and not stay in front of the television.

In some ways, the characters in Brave New World are similar to the people in our world. ┬áFor example, in Brave New World, the scientists in the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre inject the embryos with typhoids and sleeping sickness to “immunize the fish against the future man’s disease.” ┬áToday, we do the dame thing. ┬áAt a young age, we immunize humans so they will not be effected by the diseases of the world.

Brave New World is a story originally published in the early 1900s, and in some ways predicted the future (the time period we are in now) and will probably predict events that will occur hundreds of years from now.