Letter to Future Student

Dear future student, the learning community is great for freshman. I found that the course was much easier and helpful than my other classes since it is designed for new students. Especially since Professor davis and Professor Rosen are so helpful to the class. In the Being in Brooklyn course you will learn many new skills to improve your writing. It was also helpful for me spending one on one time with Professor Rosen going over my work for improvement, which i suggest you do. The course focuses on Brooklyn. The readings and essays you will be writing are all about Brooklyn, so if you are not from here you will become really familiar with Brooklyn. I also learned a lot in speech class about how to give an organized speech which will be very useful to you throughout college and later on in life. If You are a shy person like i am you will not be comfortable at first but that changes over time. Do not stress over this like i did, which effected my grade in a negative way. Especially since professor Davis is a really friendly and tries to make you feel comfortable. During the semester we took two trips to the Brooklyn Historical Society. We learned many things and had access to Brooklyn history. On our way there we had a walking tour which was a great way for us to learn about the neighborhood. Especially for those of us who are not from Brooklyn. My advice to you is to take advantage of the opportunities these two courses offer. The two trips to the Brooklyn Historical Society are a great experience and you should attend them. Also, speech class offers you a chance to come out of your shell and loose the fear of speaking in front of large groups of people. This was the number one improvement i have made since coming to college because of speech class. I hope that you enjoy these two classes and have a positive experience like i did.