5 thoughts on “Assignments

1. Pingback: Homework: Getting acquainted with the OpenLab | Being in Brooklyn

2. My name is Raunaq Singh. People often call me Ron because it is easier to remember. I am currently a freshmen with a decided major of Accounting in City tech. I am immigrant who just migrated from India in Sep 2010. I graduated from Academy of Finance & Enterprise High School. Its a specialized school for Business located in Long Island city. English is not my first language but I guess i still manage to get with it. I am interested in Math because Math is the only subject where u just have ONE answer for the question and you really have to try hard to find that ONE answer. Also, this interest lead me imagining myself as an Accountant in a business firm. Hopefully, I complete my Bachelor’s Degree and a Masters for my this dream to come true.

In my profile I choose my Avatar as myself because I think its always better to talk about yourself so that people get familiar with you. In my opinion, i consider myself as an person who likes to smoke hookah. Also the two friends in the background tell to the audience that I am friendly person. A person who is outgoing and chill. The image on my hat which is “Chicago Bulls” also tells that i am interested in watching Basketball.

Pictures always convey misleading thoughts. My avatar could be interpreted in many different ways. The first thing people would think is that i am into smoking. People might also consider that i smoke weed too. Also, people might think i am not smart in studies because i am involved in all these dirty works. The piercing on my ear could be considered as Ghetto or acting tough. According to some people’s view it might be like a show off. Due to the smoke near my face people would think i am trying to hide myself which refers as being shy.

In my opinion, I think its the human nature to create assumptions about a person whom they do not even know just by looking at his/her image. This can always lead to bad relationships among people. Judging someone on their looks is not fair. Its the person’s personality which matters the most. People should always try to get to know the other person so they could not make a misleading thought about them. My picture would convey many negative thoughts but i would say if you have a positive mindset you can always take the positive things out and neglect the negative one’s. Some examples of positive thoughts in my image could be that i am outgoing, relaxed, unstressed and a person who enjoys life. I think all this information and image matters because it might not give you the right image of the person but gives you little clues and hints about how the person is in real life.

3. Henry Li

Prof.Rosen
    ENG 1101- D381
    9/8/13

Project #1 Introducing Yourself.

Henry Li, a freshman attending New York City College of Technology (A.K.A) City-Tech. He graduated from New Utrecht High School in Brooklyn, New York. Henry is shy when around a new environment and new people but ironically outgoing. He plays Tennis as his favorite past time which he usually plays during the weekends as he doesn’t have the time to play during the weekdays due to his academics and education. Also he enjoys going to his local gym to an extreme extent every day after school. He previously served at Asphalt Green, a summer camp for kids aging from 4-12 year old, as a Trip Counselor for the summer. As of right now I have a dream to pursue a career in the Department of Education and working as a High School Teacher because I enjoy being around people that are the same age and younger than I.

I chose the avatar that I did which was a bright yellow smiley face to represent myself because I see myself as a person who enjoys life by helping other people. I love the feeling that one obtains after helping a person who is a situation they cannot handle by themselves. I also enjoy spending my time to do outside activities like to play Tennis, exercising every weekday at my local gym, and going to the movie theater with my friends. The avatar I chose in my opinion expresses all feelings and actions of someone who is great to be around and always there when needed. It is my dream to someday acquire a job that deals with helping people who are much younger than I, so I as the much older adult can explain life lessons that I’ve failed to utilize.

My avatar can be easily misinterpreted because seeing it’s of a very simple picture of a smiley face, someone could easily imagine me as a person who is always smiling and in the mood for anything. This avatar of mine could depict a different message to an individual. Reasons being that they could see the smiley face bringing in a creepy vibe, or they could also believe that I am bold but as I’ve stated before I’m quite shy in an environment around people I’ve never met before, It takes a bit more time for me to get comfortable with new people then others.

My profile will hopefully convey the message that I’m a freshman at City Tech but that doesn’t hinder me from achieving goals of majority of my seniors wish to achieve, which is to graduate college knowing what we want to become and to pursue the career of our dreams. I follow the motto of “No Pain No Gain” which means that hard work means greater value rewards. Therefore I am determined to become more than just a “pass” or an underachiever to the things I set my mind on. This is an important message to convey to those who view my profile and want to know more about my personality.

4. Pingback: For Wednesday’s class | Being in Brooklyn

5. Pingback: November wrap-up | Being in Brooklyn