Brooklyn War Memorial- Project #2

brooklyn-war-memorial-23778621

I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Brooklyn, and walked on foot as well. To be honest I’m not bored with the borough because each day I’m finding something cool and surprising around the hood. Near City tech their are so many amazing places that I have seen. For example : I didn’t know Brooklyn Bridge was so close to City tech, I thought it was far far away. There is also memorial parks and famous parks named after settlers. What’s surprising details that my Professor Rosen mentioned was that there was a theater literally 2 min walk away from college. Other then that she told us so many details about specific locations that made me shock. I woudl around on my own or soemtimes be with friends and explore Brooklyn. We explored other the city as well but Brooklyn is my main home. I will never get tired of it.

My adventure has started when my friends took me to this park. At that park we all started playing football and  after awhile I noticed this big wall. So I stopped the game and we went and took a glimpse of what it was. It was that people who served during the WW2 had died. So in honor of them they built this wall. It’s one of the Cadman Plaza parks. Here are the directions to get their:  When you get out of the college from the Namm Building, You head north on Jay Street towards Tillary Street. Then turn left onto Tillary Street. Then turn right onto Cadman Plaza W.Then turn right at Clark Street. Then turn left and then finally you will reach your destination.

A juxtaposition is the fact that two things being seen or placed together. The first thing that is being placed is honoring them. The wall clearly dedicates that “THIS MEMORIAL DEDICATED TO THE HEROIC MEN AND WOMEN OF THE BOROUGH OF BROOKLYN WHO FOUGHT FOR LIBERTY IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1941-1945 AND ESPECIALLY TO THOSE WHO SUFFERED AND DIED MAY THEIR SACRIFICE INSPIRE FUTURE GENERATIONS AND LEAD TO UNIVERSAL PEACE.” This wall was built for the people who helped and gave their lives during the World War II through the years 1941-1945. The second thing that is being placed is erased. It’s being erased because people think this isn’t important. The way that the memoir is written on the wall, it’s unbelievable because it’s really really light like you could barely see it. That just shows how not that many people care. Only the ones who do care will actually go up, read it, admire it, and understand why they were so helpful back then.

Colson Whitehead states in City Limits “Maybe we become New Yorkers the day we relaize that New York will go on without us.” It basically says how no matter where we are in the worl…New York City will never change. It will remain the way it is. He states another statement saying ” History books and public television documentaries are always trying to tell you all sorts of “facts” about New York.” Basically says that these are the people who helped out during the World War II. It shows interesting facts about New York City. These 2 quotes relates to the Brooklyn War Memorial because even though the people who died during the war New York still kept on going. it didn’t stop because of them. So for their honor, this monument was built.