Discussion Topic Response: Old Processes, New Advertising

Artists, regardless of their chosen medium, are always looking for inspiration and many times it’s found by looking back. Either through the past work of other artists or, as in this case, by reviving old techniques. I think the main reason photographers are now using these nineteenth-century processes is to create images that look and feel different than what is currently being produced by mainstream technologies. It’s a small rebellion against the digital era of photography. As stated in the New York Times article, “the technique has rewards that cannot be matched by any iPhone filter or modern camera.” Compared to digital, the wet-plate process is much more demanding of both the subject and the photographer, and it shows in the images. The long exposure time gives rise to poses and expressions one doesn’t usually see in modern photography. Once the image has been exposed the process requires the photographer to work quickly and get their hands dirty (using a variety of chemicals). In comparison to having digital images appear instantly on a camera screen, experiencing the excitement and anticipation of watching an image slowly appear before your eyes can seem almost magical.

One Response to Discussion Topic Response: Old Processes, New Advertising

1. Melwin Geevarghese says:

I agree with you on this on why they create these images. It definitely creates a whole dimension of new detail that may not bee seen in modern day photography. Even in modern day photography, there are details that I miss when I take the original picture and then try to put a filter on it; I end up seeing or noticing things or details I didn’t originally, just by placing a digital filter, I can’t imagine what it would be like using the Wet-Plate Process. Moreover, a much more “magical” process worth looking forward to.