Learning Self-Analysis

I entered CUNY City Tech’s nursing program with an Associate Degree in Nursing and enrolled into the school’s RN-to-BSN program. The baccalaureate level curriculum shifts the academic focus away from the associate level. There is a lesser emphasis on learning specific clinical nursing skills and providing disease specific nursing care. As a student pursuing the baccalaureate degree it involved examining personal values and philosophies about nursing practice. It incorporated other higher levels of nursing such as leadership, case management, transitional care, and contemporary issues of professional nursing practice.  It involve more in terms of thinking about how you care out the nursing process and why you are performing the nursing process. As I advanced through the baccalaureate curriculum, I have developed a well-rounded idea of what modern day nursing should cover. As I reflect, the more I learn about nursing, the more I begin to delineate how different the nursing care model is from medical care model. If the same question was presented to me on my first day of nursing school I am sure I would not be able to delineate the different the nursing model and medical model.

I have learned to take a more global view of nursing practice. Not only does a professional nurse needs to be aware of providing outstanding clinical care of their patients, but we need to be mindful of the political, economic, and global environments that operate within.