Management of Patient Care (Nursing Leadership) Course

The American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE) has identified critical competencies for nurse managers found at www.aone.org. During this course we focus on the “Leader Within,” utilizing the set of guidelines and tenants which facilitate reflective practice. The “Dimensions of Leadership” developed by the Center for Nursing Leadership, offer an example of a set of guidelines/tenants that can be used as a tool to guide personal reflection of an individual’s leadership behaviors. This paper is a reflection that explores my personal leadership qualities and examples of actual experiences and aspirational qualities that I would like to incorporate into my nursing practice.

Nurse Leadership

As part of the Nursing Leadership class we produced a video presentation that required a lot of team collaboration to synthesize and present an evidence-based leadership concept. The idea was to develop one specific critical competency required of a nurse leader which is, the ability to collaborate. As a group we used our collective creativity, technical skills and the many different personalities to create an information video for fellow nurses to grasp the concept of delegation as a registered nurse.

Delegating Care: The Do’s and the Don’ts