Final Project Proposal

For my final project I am choosing to portray the article called “Psychologists Explain The Benefits Of Baking For Other People” by Julie R. Thomson. The article explain how baking and being able to give others a sweet treat makes us feel good. The act of giving and doing. small favors for others gives us a feeling of joy which makes our lives a little happier. Thomson explains that we don’t just bake to have a sweets we bake for all kinds of reasons such as self-expression. We can express who we are through our baking and create a form of communication without even intentionally trying to do so. It is also a form of mindfulness because it increases happiness and reduces stress. She also explains that if baking makes you stressed then it is definitely not for you. Overall baking is intended as a stress reliever. I love to bake which is why I chose to use this article for my final project.

My ideas: 

The audience is people who like to bake and want to know the benefits of baking. I believe the audience is also for people who may be suffering from depression or anxiety, baking is a way to ease your mind and feel good about yourself.

-For the first image idea I am choosing to use purely still life. The mood of the photo is happy and and is pretty literal. I would like to use bakeware for the photo laid out on a table or reflective surface to show the different tools used to bake. I want the lighting to be bright and even to create that happy mood. I would like to experiment with color in the background but initially I would like it to be bright and white.

-For the second image idea I would like to use a mixture of still life and models. The mood is still happy and joyful. The idea is to have the models facing each other one handing over baked goods to the other model while smiling, or possibly a close up of their hands. I would like the lighting to be bright and even as well to keep the mood consistent with both ideas, I don’t think  would try color in the background for this one. I am hoping to quickly use two people from class for this idea.

One thought on “Final Project Proposal

1. rmichals

good topic. Note that the article uses stock photography of people.

For the still life photo, there are some basic food photography things to try:
    an overhead view, a portion and the whole, shallow depth of field.

Here are a few ideas:

10 Easy Tips for Yummier Food Photography

Though I think the silverware here looks terrible.

I really like the cookie photo with the sprinkled sugar. Note the background is a cookie rack on what looks like a piece of wood. I would post it here but I don’t think I can post a photo in a comment.

For the shot with models, I think showing the baker might be better than trying to show the giving aspect. I find the photo at the end of the article a little corny though the shallow depth of field certainly makes it technically competent.

Look for some examples. I found some of these interesting. Your project would be under editorial:
    http://www.shutterloveonline.com/contest_galleries/taste/2017/#main