She being brand and Coming Home Detroit

Both poems are using a metaphor of driving a car. On “She being Brand”, Cummings uses “she” to represent a car. It is mysterious to the readers at the beginning. On the first stanza, the author writes the car is new as she’s new to sexual experience. The author is expressing both of them are nervous at the beginning. “it was the first ride…” This is apparently telling he was experienced but driving this new car for the first time. It is actually meaning they are the first time sleep together also she has no any experience. They are finally having a happy ending. In contrast, “Coming Home, Detroit, 1968”, PhiIlip Levine was expressing the negative feelings to the readers for the whole poem. Telling a story for the man pass by his hometown city when he is going to work. “The charred faces, the eyes boarded up, the rubble of innards. the cry…” This could tell us he is having a strong sense to this place but at the same time, he is feeling no hope with it.

I will try to find old style toy cars for next week shooting. I will do more close up shooting and pay attention to the details of the car for the first poem. I think for the layout I will focus on bright colors to express the feelings in exciting. Also, make it as a brand new car.

The second poem I will take images of a black car in the white background. I am thinking to make some dust on the car so that expressing the idea of when he is passing by the city.

One thought on “She being brand and Coming Home Detroit

1. rmichals

You understand the poems well and I think your ideas can work. Bright color in a tight shot of a new car will work well for she being Brand. The other image being black and white no so much shooting in black and white but using monochrome props and dust or something to show that the city has been devastated by industrial pollution and poverty.