Give Kids a Smile Day

A group of my classmates, Professors, and I volunteered at 4th annual pediatric dental screening at Chuck E Cheese’s in Downtown Brooklyn, Atlantic Avenue Terminal Mall. We set up a couple of tables with various educational dental models. Second District Dental Society sponsored the event and we distributed a lot of goody bags filled with toothbrushes, toothpaste, educational posters, and books for kids ages 3-5 and 6-11 years old.

I was informing the parents who attended the restaurant at that time about the event, we invited them to the section devoted to dental screening, performed an intraoral examination, and explained the procedure to the parents. The community referrals were given to a parent for sealants, dental caries, and orthodontic treatment. I counseled parents about nutritional habits and appropriate tooth brushing in order to prevent disease and improve oral health. At the end of each screening, I would provide a child with a gift, backpack with toothpaste, toothbrush, and educational materials. Each child had an opportunity to participate in the poster contest for a chance to win $100.