Coronavirus Update: No class tomorrow (3/12) or Tuesday (3/17) – future classes will be online

Hi everyone,

As you may have heard, CUNY is taking a number of steps to help prevent the spread of Covid-19.  These include:

• Classes are cancelled 3/12 through 3/18 (this Thursday through next Wednesday).  During this time, faculty will be working to transition to “distance-learning” or “online learning.”
  • Starting next Thursday 3/19, classes will be held in “distance-learning mode.”  This means you will NOT be coming in to the college for class – instead, we will be using technology to continue class activities for the semester.

What does this mean for our class?

• We will be working hard to figure this out!
    • We are not yet sure how class will be conducted — everyone at the college is thinking about this very problem.
    • Your responses to the survey (posted on Tuesday morning) will be a big help in figuring this out. Please complete the survey if you have not done so!
  • OpenLab
    • For our class, the OpenLab will be the main method of communication.  As we come to decisions about how we will manage the class online, I will post updates here.
    • If you are not yet a member of the OpenLab, I encourage you to set up an account and then Join this class — then you will receive email notifications whenever I post.
  • Exam #2
    • Your next exam, previously scheduled for next Thursday 3/19, is cancelled for now. Updates will be provided next week.
  • WeBWorK
    • Your current WeBWorK homework assigned on Tuesday this week (Rational Functions – Domains, Intercepts, Asymptotes) will be due one week later than planned, on Tuesday, March 24th.
    • The upcoming WeBWorK homework on Polynomial Inequalities and Rational Inequalities will also be postponed.

What can I do?

Keep your eyes on the OpenLab for future announcements. Keep studying and doing your WeBWorK. Stay calm. Stay alert. Wash your hands often. Take care of yourself and your loved ones. Past experience shows that troubled times bring out the best in New Yorkers, and I believe this is no exception.

As always, don’t hesitate to contact me (by email, or by leaving a comment below) if you have questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Prof. Reitz

Print this page

2 thoughts on “Coronavirus Update: No class tomorrow (3/12) or Tuesday (3/17) – future classes will be online”

1. Hello, this is Suim Kim(23946954)

I hope you doing well although we are under inconvenience.

I have a request for the webwork. I wish you could open other expired webwork so that I can finish undone assignments.

let’s stay healthy and warm.

Thank you!

1. Hi Suim,
      Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely consider opening past WeBWorK sets in the future, but I want to do it in an organized fashion (and right now I’m focussed on figuring out our lecture for Thursday). For now, everyone should complete the homework on Rational Functions (3 WeBWorK sets) – and, if you’ve already done so, you can take a look at the upcoming assignments on Polynomial and Rational Inequalities.
      Best,
      Prof. Reitz